Connect with us

Crime

Alfie Lamb Manslaughter: Justice Served with Stephen Waterson Pleading Guilty

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Stephen Waterson

The adopted son of former Tory minister Nigel Waterson, Stephen Waterson, has finally admitted of being guilty in the gruesome act of crushing a three-year old toddler, Alfie Lamb in the backseat footwell of his car. Waterson pleaded guilty of killing Alfie, the son of his girlfriend Adrian Hoare at Old Bailey after initially denying manslaughter.

The incident took place last year in February, when the guilty and his girlfriend went on a shopping spree for cushions along with Alfie, 19-year old Emilie Williams, 22-year old Marcus Lamb and another young child.

The toddler was then put in the car for the journey back to home. It was then that 26-year-old Stephen Waterson reversed his front passenger seat into the kid as he sat at his mother’s feet, annoyed by the crying of Alfie Lamb. Waterson, who works at a night club, said “I won’t be told what to do by a three-year-old.”, when the three-year began to plead for help.

By the time, they arrived back in Croydon, the boy had collapsed and died three days later at the hospital due to irreversible brain injuries. During the investigation, both he and Hoare made a web of lies to pervert the investigation.

As the law authorities began to catch up their lies, Stephen Waterson provided an incorrect name and a false statement. He also sold his Audi car. He further threatened Hoare and other witnesses of making them “disappear”, if they told different stories about the fateful incident that struck, the three-year old.

Earlier this year, Hoare was released from manslaughter charges however, was sentenced for two years and nine months for being guilty of child cruelty. Judge Mark Lucraft QC sent Waterson in the custody to be sentenced on Monday, September 9.

Scotland Yard’s DCI Simon Harding, at the end of the hearing, said that Alfie succumbed to the “selfish and cruel act” and the hearing has at last “given Alfie a voice”. He said, “Stephen Waterson has come across as a selfish, abhorrent individual who killed a three-and-a-half-year-old child and has never stood up and said what has happened and taken responsibility for the actions he performed on that day.”

During the hearing at Old Bailey, Angela Moriarty, from the Child Protection Services said, “Alfie Lamb had been alive and well earlier in the day when he had been out shopping in Sutton. It was in the car journey back home that Waterson, with a callous disregard to Alfie’s safety, deliberately pushed his car seat back.”

“This was a harrowing and difficult case for all those involved, but finally justice has been served for Alfie,” she added.

Crime

Grace Millane Murderer Jailed Post 2 Long Years: Is this Justice?

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Grace Millane

Cases of murders where abusers claim the victim’s participation in the ‘sex game’ are not a new story these days. Popular books and movies, such as “50 Shades of Grey” further validate such sexual practises. However, situation worsens when an abuser can easily escape punishment by terming heinous sexual assaults like these as a ‘sex game gone wrong’.

Post two long years of being charged with the murder of Grace Millane, the 28-year-old man has been punished with a non-parole period of 17 years. The sentencing report reveals that the pathological liar will also be sent for intensive psychology and rehabilitation. Even after committing such a crime, the actual identity of the accused remains suppressed.

Millane was brutally murdered by a Tinder date, who stuffed her body into a suitcase and buried it in a shallow grave in woodland near Auckland in December 2018. The murder was convicted in November 2019 when jurors saw his ‘sex game gone wrong’ defence, post which Justice Simon Moore ordered him to be put behind the bars.  

Millane’s family was virtually present at the sentence hearing. They participated via video link from the UK, stating that they would be come back home and ‘try and pick up the pieces of our lives’

As per the advocacy group – ‘We Can’t Consent to This’, more than 60 women in the UK have been killed in cases otherwise termed as ‘consensual’ sex since 1972. Over the past five years, 18 women have died due to similar cases. In most of such cases, the abuser’s claims of ‘sex game gone wrong’ lead to a lighter sentence.

Experts believe that blaming the victim for such acts of sexual violence is exacerbated by their normalization in media and society in general. Moreover, suppressing the names of abusers in one way validates the crimes being committed.

The story of Grace Millane is just one among many others which go unreported. In the cases which are reported, families are subjected to years of mental turmoil which adds to their depression of losing a dear one. The real question is if the jury must ease the process of giving the final verdict in such cases to help ease the problems faced by the victim’s family.

Continue Reading

Crime

Uber Driver with Hate-Filled Ideology Guilty of Terror Attack in London

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Terror attack

Last updated on February 12th, 2020

Terror attack planned with the intention to kill innocent people is considered as a common story in the UK. Unleashing terror under the ‘dreams of martyrdom’ clearly reflects the insane ideology that continues to exist in the minds of such people who feel the least guilt about committing such crimes.

Accused of plotting jihadist attacks on Madame Tussauds and Gay Pride parade last summer, ex-Uber driver Mohiussunnath Chowdhury has been finally found guilty of committing the terror offences at the Woolwich Crown Court today. Eight hours and 39 minutes long deliberations resulted in the jury announcing its verdict against Chowdhury, who reportedly showed no emotion on hearing the decision. However, his sister, who has been held partially responsible for claiming to be unaware of the terror attack, was seen crying at the dock.

The 28-year-old, from Luton, was arrested for terror attack in 2018 and declared guilty yesterday as the jury blamed him for attacks at London’s famous tourist spots Madame Tussauds and Gay Pride parade and an open-top tour bus.

In December 2018, Chowdhury was accused of being armed with a sword and shouting “Allahu Akbar” outside the Queen’s London residence. At that time, his lawyer saved him saying that he was trying to get himself killed by some police officer and did not have any intentions of hurting innocent people.

Despite of the fact that Chowdhury has been quite vocal about his hate-filled ideology which could be clearly understood from the virtues of martyrdom he posted online just a week after his release in 2018, it took the jury more than a year to actually prove him guilty.

Even though the posts led to the beginning of an undercover operation by four officers who befriended him and skilfully forced him to share his ideas of terror attack, the amount of time that the police have taken to actually prove him guilty does raise direct questions about the safety of the London citizens.

Continue Reading

Crime

London Terror Attack: Man Stabs Two; Police Shoots Him Dead

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

London Terror Attack: Man Stabs Two; Police Shoots Him Dead

In another ‘scared to death’ moment for Londoners, a man wearing fake suicide device was shot dead by police after he stabbed two people in a London terror attack on Sunday.

Declaring the act as “Islamist-related” attack, the Metropolitan Police confirmed that the suspect named Sudesh Amman was shot dead at the scene on a Streatham High Road. The attacker was reportedly freed from prison only a week ago, after serving half of his three-year-and-four-month sentence.

On the other hand, of the people who were stabbed in London terror attack, a man in hospital is said to have suffered life threatening injuries, while another woman has been treated for minor injuries.

The 20-year-old attacker was being kept under watch by undercover police officers at the time of the stabbings as a part of “proactive counterterrorism operation”, the officials confirmed.

Terror attacks and stabbings have become a usual site in London. The Streatham attack marked third act of terror to hit the UK since security services revised the threat level from “highly likely” to “likely”.

“A device was found strapped to the body of the suspect and specialist officers attended,” Deputy Assistant Commissioner Lucy D’Orsi, from the Met Police, said in a statement on the attack. “Cordons were put in place and it was quickly established that this was a hoax device,” she added.

A witness to the scene named Malik, a barber who works on the same street, said he heard gunshots as he was walking out of a chicken shop. Besides, stating that there was blood and a lady who had been victimized by knife on the floor, with everyone helping her.

Post incident, long stretches of Streatham High Road were barred for public entry with helicopters seen above the area, and Transport for London also changed the route of its buses.

Later in the day, pictures on social media showed a man lying on the ground wearing the fake vest, the similar vest that was used in London bride attack last year.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson, thanked emergency services who responded to the menacing incident and said his thoughts “are with the injured and all those affected.” While Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, said that terrorists have always wanted to divide and destroy lives of people, but “we will never let them succeed.”

London terror attacks and knife stabbings have been a part of the Islamic States’ strategy to spread the terror worldwide. In 2014, a speech by the group’s spokesperson called for attacks on non-Muslims, especially in Britain because of its indulgence in bombing group’s dominions in Syria and Iraq.

Islamic State usually lays its hands on areas that have soft targets, such as shopping districts, with low levels of security. The process thus, makes it difficult to track the perpetrators, who are usually lone actors.

Continue Reading

Crime

Buckingham Palace Sword Attacker Mohiussunnath Chowdhury Denies Accusations in Trial

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Mohiussunnath Chowdhury

As the time flies by, the UK is gradually becoming a main street place for crime-related violence. From knife crimes and sword attacks to gun fires, a lot of people have died in the day-to-day massacres, while most of the attackers are roaming free with their sickening ideologies. Some in prisons are wanting to continue their lives repeating the crime for which they were sentenced. Even the thought of such people moving free, after completing their sentences, is dreary.

The description of Buckingham Palace’s sword attacker Mohiussunnath Chowdhury, who attacked officers with a sword outside the palace in August 2017 is the same. He was being arrested for terror offence and sentenced for imprisonment. Six months after his release, the sword attacker contacted his sister on June 20, to inform that he was going to launch another attack.

A covert recording heard the sword attacker telling his sister, Sneha Chowdhury, that he was about to quit his job at a chicken shop in Luton. “I’m doing another attack bruv,” Mr Chowdhury said. “I’m serious bro, it’s about time now.” The recording cleared that he was targeting children who came into the chicken shop where he worked after prayers at a nearby mosque, adding: “They come in the shop and I start radicalising them.” 

Post being freed from custody at the end of a retrial, Mohiussunnath Chowdhury allegedly trained for an attack on potential targets including a gay Pride parade and Madame Tussauds. The 28-year-old sword attacker told the undercover police officers of his intentions and said that attacking non-Muslims was a “fair game”. Although he later claimed that he made the comment “for attention” and did not mean it.  

Meanwhile, the prosecutors in Monday’s hearing insisted that the sword attacker was to unleash death and suffering on non-Muslim members of the public who happened to be present, using a firearm, sword and even a van as part of an attack. They said that Mohiussunnath Chowdhury was even found boasting in front of the undercover police of “deceiving” the jury that cleared him of a terror offence.

The statements made by the sword attacker made the situations difficult for him. Defending himself at the trial, Chowdhury said that he spoke those words just to impress the undercover officers and that his defence was entirely true. The court even heard that the accused on many occasions had debated terrorism with his friends, telling one man that killing a soldier or police officer would be “instant paradise innit”.

When the friend said that he could not condone the murder of a pregnant woman or children, he replied: “Allah answers it very clearly in the Quran.” Over the time, the sword attacker has used western military campaigns in the Middle East as justification for his attacks, a revelation which clearly reflects his inhumane nature and terror motives.

Not only that, Mohiussunnath Chowdhury even praised previous terror attacks, calling the Charlie Hebdo massacre “epic”, stating that the gunmen had “stood up” for Islam and described the murder of Lee Rigby “amazing”. Despite all the evidences, the sword attacker has denied preparing acts of terrorism, disseminating a terrorist publication and possessing terrorist information.

Mohiussunnath Chowdhury’s case has become the tainted reality of today’s world, where people even after committing heinous crimes, portray themselves as innocent beings. The law and order should strictly restrict such people and those helping them, to fulfill their ulterior motives, behind the bars.   

Continue Reading

Crime

Money Laundering Scam: Seven Caught for Stealing £215 million

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

laundering scam

Post an 18-month long complex investigation (involving the international police agencies Europol, Interpol and the authorities in the Great Britain and the Republic of Ireland), the PSNI (Police Service of Northern Ireland) has finally arrested seven in a money laundering scam worth £215m.

Termed as one of the most significant live investigations, sources have affirmed the involvement of Gardai in solving the Northern Ireland money laundering scam. Sources claim that a “significant volume of suspected criminal cash”, six men and one woman have been taken in by the police.

Clarifying the matter, the Detective Chief Inspector of PSNI, Ian Wilson said, “the police believe the suspects were laundering the proceeds of crime out of the country through a number of shell companies and bank accounts held here in Northern Ireland.”

The suspects have been detained post 15 detailed searches at locations across Northern Ireland on January 20 and 21. According to Ian Wilson, “Six men aged 33, 37, 39, 40, 50 and 67 and a 32-year-old woman were arrested during the two-day operation. The investigation has identified over 50 companies and over 140 bank accounts.”

Records state nearly £215 million has been deposited to thousands of bank accounts across the UK. As a part of the laundering scam, some money has been transferred out of the UK through foreign exchange companies since 2011. Assuring the general public about PSNI’s commitment to fighting organized crime and money laundering scams, Wilson said, “Money laundering is often a critical enabler of organised criminality. We believe that the majority of this money is derived from a range of criminal activity carried out by organised crime gangs.”

He added, “We are committed to keeping people safe by robustly pursuing those who are involved in laundering criminally derived money and enabling criminals to access the profits gained from their involvement in a range of illegal activities.”

For appreciating the efforts of the Economic Crime Unit, who uncovered the operation, the Chief Constable, Simon Byrne posted words of praise on his Twitter handle, on January 21.

Garda Headquarters affirmed the involvement of its units in solving the money laundering scam with PSNI. Investigations by the Garda National Economic Crime Bureau started in September 2016, under the VAT carousel fraud. The search was mainly directed at defrauding the VAT system via bogus trade between jurisdictions.

A detailed search across four provinces and the seizure of a large volume of digital and documentary evidence was done in 15 properties, both residential and commercial in September 2017. Nearly two years later, in May 2019, a woman was captured in Co Louth and a man in August. The third person, termed as the “facilitator” of the gangs, was arrested in Dundalk in October 2019.

Making an appeal to the public post the recent £215 million money laundering scam, Wilson said, “I would appeal for anyone with any information on this type of activity to contact police on 101 or call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

Money laundering scams like this one reflect the illegal movement of the hard-earned money of taxpayers. The fact that it took such a long-time to actually find the criminals highlights the loopholes in the security system of the country.

Continue Reading

Trending