Connect with us

World

Brexit: Risk Looms over EU Citizens in UK as “Settle Status” Debate Intensifies

Published

on

eu citizens in uk

Last updated on September 24th, 2018

EU citizens in the United Kingdom (UK) are at a threat of getting exposed to their greatest fear after Brexit, where citizens can even lose their housing and jobs, warned the MPs.

The government plans to give its citizens the “settled status”. However, it is heavily debated that this might even even ruin the lives of its members, just like the Windrush generation. Though the EU nations are given a digital code to prove their status, but the Commons Brexit Committee has assumed the ideology as confusing. Also, the further dependency on the goodwill of employers and landlords makes it even more difficult to execute the plans properly.

In addition, according to the report by given by the committee, its ministers urge to distribute easy-to-use-physical documents, cautioning that it would otherwise be shunned by bosses and landlords, who are fearful of fines, if they mistakenly employ or rent an illegal immigrant.

Comparing to the past experiences of Windrush Generation, the devastating experiences of such immigrations are already known. Also, the potential for fraud and the incentive for individuals to be exploited gets higher each time an incident of this volume occurs.

Ministers have continuously talked about the progress made on citizens’ rights as one of the big achievements from the Brussels talks, but the major displacement issues remain unsolved.

The report issued by the committee also mentions that 27 remaining EU states have set out how 1 million British expats in the country can guarantee their status, with a warning that they had been “left in the dark”.

The committee however backs the European Parliament for striking off the fees required to register for settled status, but it wants the same benefits for the its UK citizens in the EU.

Besides, the ministers must necessarily present a clear picture about what will happen to citizen who fails to apply for status by a deadline of June 2021. Clearly, the tension is on a high, as each citizen looks for an answer that guarantees him the safety about his status. Likewise, Theresa May who has been continuously fated for her ill deeds, after she refused to act in the two years since the referendum, must make sure the citizens duly get what they deserve.

World

Formula 1 Champion Niki Lauda Loses the Race of Life at 70

Published

on

Formula 1 Champion Niki Lauda Loses the Race of Life at 70

Renowned Formula 1 world champion Niki Lauda, who spent his life running cars in speed, lost the race of life, on Monday. The racer survived 9 months after a lung transplant in August, and “passed away peacefully” at the age of 70, as confirmed by his family.

Born in Vienna in February 1949, the legendary Austrian was a motor racing legend. His most remarkable time goes back to when he took the title for Ferrari in 1975 and 1977, and for McLaren in 1984.

Ferrari’s Formula 1 team said he would “remain forever in our hearts”.

People also remember Niki Lauda as the man who cheated death. A year after winning his first title, he suffered three-degree burns to his head and faced after a crash in the German Grand Prix on August 1, 1976. Inhaling the toxic gases after his vehicle burst into flames at Nurburgring, the motor racer damaged his lungs.

His recovery from after the accident was miraculous, as the doctors had given him the last rites in hospital. Being the legend and a passionate racer, he returned to racing in just 40 days, still bandaged covering the burns on his face.

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff said, “We haven’t just lost a hero who staged the most remarkable comeback ever seen, but also a man who brought precious clarity and candour to modern Formula 1.”

Niki Lauda became known to the new generation of fans in the acclaimed 2013 film Rush, which set forth his rivalry with British driver James Hunt, the 1976 world champion.

After a legendary journey in motor racing and retirement, he became a successful entrepreneur in the business of airlines. Most recently, he became a non-executive chairman for the Formula 1 Mercedes team.

Mercedes stated that the passing of their “irreplaceable” chairman “leaves a void in Formula 1”.

His family’s statement stated, “His unique achievements as an athlete and entrepreneur are and will remain unforgettable, his tireless zest for action, his straight forwardness and his courage remain a role model and a benchmark for all of us.”

His ill health followed him into his years later, where he spent several years fighting for life. Niki Lauda leaves behind his wife, their twins born in 2009, and three sons from his previous relationships.

The legend will forever be remembered by numerous people of mixed generations for his racing skills both on track and in life.

Continue Reading

World

Chelsea Manning: “Won’t Answer Subpoena”

Published

on

Chelsea Manning

Former US Army Intelligence Analyst, Chelsea Manning, also known as Bradley Manning was released on Thursday from a prison in Northern Virginia. She served in the US army as Bradley Manning, and was seen in the news after she disclosed thousands of diplomatic and military secrets to WikiLeaks in 2010.

She experienced imprisonment of 62 days on accusations of civil contempt as she denied to testify to a grand jury. Manning was released because the term of her Grand Jury ended, although her lawyers worried that she could be imprisoned again.

During her first interview with the media, after serving jail time, Chelsea Manning denied to accept another subpoena or to answer the questions of a new grand jury on May 16. Considering that she will not testify and will stick to her principles, her lawyers have asked the court to not sentence her again.

She was arrested and charged with imprisonment of 35 years in the military prison, after leaking diplomatic and military secrets to WikiLeaks in 2010. However, the former US president Barack Obama modified her sentence, after she completed seven years of her total term in 2017.

During her interview with Brian Stelter on “Reliable Sources”, Manning said, “I think that we have a much stronger case in terms of like the legal objections, which the previous judge didn’t — refused to even hear. He refused to even hear or act on the motions. He just simply placed me in contempt and ignored our motions.”

“I think that the Eastern District of Virginia is now turned into a rubber stamp for all these different prosecutions. I think that ultimately what they really want is they want to go after journalists.”

“This administration clearly wants to go after journalists,” she added.
Earlier, US Prosecutors revealed that Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks was charged discreetly by the US grand jury in March 2018 on the accusations of plotting with Manning to bypass the military computer system.

Comments of Chelsea Manning come into light during the argument, if the accusations of US prosecutors on Assange can be considered as an assault on the freedom of press.

After denying to testify in front of a new grand jury, it might be possible that Chelsea Manning will be arrested soon enough. Also, after her sparking interview with Stelter, it might be possible that her message against the Trump administration reaches many people and they might come in her support, avoiding further assault on the Freedom of Press.

Continue Reading

World

Is Saudi Using the “Sabotage Attack” as a Defense Strategy or Tool?

Published

on

Attack on Two Saudi Oil Tankers: A Strategy in Disguise

Two vessels of Saudi Arabia, which were on their way to cross into the Arabian Gulf, have become a victim to “a sabotage attack” in the exclusive economic zone of the United Arab Emirates (UAE), on Sunday. However, the Kingdom’s Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih confirmed the news on Monday, stating that two of their oil tankers were damaged in attacks that wrecked the vessels off the coast of the Emirate of Fujairah.

As per the reports, one of the two tankers was on the move to get loaded with Saudi crude oil at the port of Ras Tanura. Besides, it was to be delivered to the state-owned oil beneficiary Saudi Aramco’s customers in the United States.

The attack came amidst the soaring tensions at the Persian Gulf, due to the US-Iran rift. Although the tankers were not identified, the blame has shifted slightly towards the Islamic Republic of Iran. As the US and its Arab rival are tangled in a conflict, chances of attacks are also high.

Considering that, the Trump administration deployed warships and bombers at the Persian Gulf.

While the relations between the Kingdom and Iran are similar, the attack on Saudi’s oil tankers is also being associated to Tehran.

On the other hand, the Foreign Ministry of Iran called for clarification on the incident and to Saudi’s claim that its vessels were targeted in a “sabotage attack”. On Monday, the Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said that more details should be provided about what exactly happened, as he expressed his concerns over the matter.

Moreover, state-run IRNA news agency also quoted Mousavi as cautioning against any “conspiracy orchestrated by ill-wishers” and “adventurism by foreigners” to undermine the region’s stability and security.

As per the statement of Saudi’s Energy Minister Falih, there were no casualties or oil spill, but it did cause a significant damage to the structures to the two vessels. Besides, no details on the nature of the sabotage were provided.

On one hand the Kingdom has no specific details on the so-called “sabotage attack” on its oil tankers, and on the other it is subtly targeting its long-time enemy, Iran, by putting the blame of unproven attacks on it.

As the story draws, it could be perceived that Saudi Arabia is trying to assist its western ally, the United States, by bring its rival in the picture without any proves. Moreover, the Kingdom could possibly be using the “two vessels” loading oil to bury down the story of the vessel spotted at the French coast to load weapons, which were supposed to be deployed in Yemen war.

Continue Reading

Crime

1 killed and 8 injured after two students opened fire in Colorado School

Published

on

Colorado school shooting

Two high school students opened vacuous firing at students of a Colorado community school, killing at least one and injuring eight others.

According to the Douglas County sheriff officials, the 18-year-old Devon Erickson and a juvenile student rushed into the classrooms of STEM School Highlands Ranch, Colorado, on Tuesday afternoon, causing havoc in the corridors.

Within a few minutes, the suspects were engaged and taken into custody by the Douglas County sheriff officials.

Eight victims, of age 15 and older, received treatment at local hospitals, including two who were in critical condition. At least four other victims were released the same day. No employees or teachers were injured in the shooting, authorities have confirmed.

Sheriff Tony Spurlock said that the motive behind shooting was unclear, and the officials have not received any information about someone being particularly targeted by the juvenile shooters.

The FBI and Denver’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were rendering assistance in the investigation.

In an official statement, the White House said that the tragic incident was reported back to President Donald Trump, and he is monitoring the situation.

“Tragically, this community and those surrounding it know all too well these hateful and horrible acts of violence,” Judd Deere, the White House deputy press secretary, said. “We offer our full support to local law enforcement and first responders and thank them for their heroism.”

The STEM School and other nearby schools were completely evacuated and locked-down for many hours, as stated by the Douglas County School District.

Over 1,850 students in elementary, middle, and high school have been enrolled in STEM School, according to its website.

STEM School is situated close to the Columbine High School, where 13 people were shot dead by two students on April 20, 1999. The incident was so far the worst in US’s history.

Continue Reading

World

41 killed as Russian aircraft crash-lands in Moscow

Published

on

Moscow Aeroflot crash landing

On Sunday, a Russian passenger plane, Aeroflot, crash-landed at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport, killing at least 41 people, including two children. The plane belched out black flames right after a turbulent touch-down. After the Aeroflot flight SU 1492 halted, passengers were evacuated with the help of emergency slides on the forward doors.

According to the reports, the Aeroflot flight was scheduled to depart from Moscow for Murmansk, when an emergency in the cockpit forced it to get back. As per a Russian news agency, the pilot was losing contact due to a lightning strike.

As determined by the data from flight tracker Flightradar24, the aircraft took off at 6 pm local time, and within 30 minutes the alarm was raised.

The accident was captured in a video in which the speedy plane can be seen approaching the runway before colliding with the ground, and bouncing back before touching down on runway again and catching fire.

There were 73 passengers and five crew members on board, out of which only 37 people could survive. Elena Markovskaya, a spokeswoman for Russia’s Investigative Committee informed that five of the survivors are currently receiving treatment in hospital.

The Russian jet manufacturers

Sukhoi, a division of the United Aircraft Corporation, has a niche in manufacturing military and fighter jets. Its passenger aircraft, the Sukhoi Superjet 100, operated by Russia’s Aeroflot Airlines had to cancel its flight to Astrakhan, Russia, and come back to Moscow due to some issues with the undercarriage.

In 2018, another case was recorded of an Aeroflot-operated Superjet 100 plane where the defect had to be fixed in Minsk. Surprisingly, the aircraft model obtained the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) Type Certificate in 2012, along with other safety certificates from several aviation authorities.

The investigation for Aeroflot flight SU 1492 crash is underway, and Russia’s Investigative Committee is yet to provide an official cause for the accident.

Continue Reading

Trending