Connect with us

Celebrities

George Clooney Returns to TV with ‘Catch 22’ After Two Decades

Published

on

Last updated on May 19th, 2019

Happiness has found epitome for George Clooney’s fans in the form of “Catch-22”. Two decades after the showstopper left medical drama “ER”, Clooney is set to return to television this month, with an adaption of Joseph Heller’s “Catch-22”.

Recipient of Oscar, and well known for his contribution to films like “Syriana”, “Gravity” and “The Monuments Men”, the star portrayed that novel’s complexity made “Catch 22” an ideal choice for him to return to the television screen.

The always flamboyant actor not only worked in the television series, but also directed two episodes of the Hulu series. The plot of the episode is set during a World War Two, where a member of US bomber squadron is seen fighting the high rank officials in the military bureaucracy.

“I thought it was a fun way to tell this story. It’s hard to tell this story as complex as it is in a two-hour movie,” Clooney said at the series premiere in Los Angeles on Tuesday evening. He added, “It’s never been about the medium although television and streaming has gotten much more interesting and more fun, it was more about telling the story. It’s about telling good stories.”

Heller’s 1961 novel, previously been a major motion picture in 1970, revolves around a US bombardier Yossarian, who is livid because army keeps on increasing the number of missions he must accomplish to be relieved of his job.

Yossarian’s only way to escape the missions is to prove insanity. However, in order to do so, he embarks on even more dangerous bombing tasks, thus, giving the story its beautiful, yet absurd persona.

In the series Christopher Abbott stars as Yossarian while Kyle Chandler plays his commander, Colonel Cathcart. Clooney, on the other hand, plays training commander Scheisskopf.

“It’s a heightened piece, it’s satirical, it’s dramatic, it’s harrowing, it’s very funny,” Abbott said. “It kind of lives in a world on its own but I think the themes are kind of universal because they’re really just about the human condition.”

At the premier, George Clooney also made mention of his friend and former actress Meghan Markle, who married Prince Harry and recently gave birth to their first child. Correspondingly, with the fans really excited about “Catch 22”, the series is likely to be a sure-shot hit.

Celebrities

Chef Jamie Oliver Hit with Bankruptcy, Shuts Down UK Restaurants

Published

on

Jamie Oliver

On Tuesday, celebrity Chef Jamie Oliver, who is known for his TV show “The Naked Chef” and dozens of cook books, announced that his restaurant chain has filed for bankruptcy protection.

The anti-junk food campaigner’s empire laid its foundation in London in 2002 with the restaurant “Fifteen”. He established the famous “Jamie’s Italian” in 2008. The outlet was opened with emphasis on “casual, mid-market dining with quality ingredients”.

Out of the 25 restaurants, 22 are in the administration of the financial firm KPMG. The collapse of the restaurant chain owned by Jamie Oliver will see as many as 1000 people being unemployed.

Only three outlets at Gatwick Airport, which comprised of two restaurants and a diner, will continue to work. The foreign outlets of Jamie’s Italian, Jamie’s Pizzeria and Jamie’s Deli have not been affected. The Fifteen Cornwall, which operates as franchise, will also continue to run its course.

The administrator of these restaurant chains, KPMG said, “Both Jamie’s Italian restaurants and his Diner at Gatwick Airport will continue to trade in the short term while the joint administrators explore options for the site.”

Jamie Oliver posted a message on Twitter, saying: “I’m devastated that our much-loved U.K. restaurants have gone into administration. I am deeply saddened by this outcome and would like to thank all of the staff and our suppliers who have put their hearts and souls into this business over the years.”

The prime reasons behind the closure of the restaurant chains are increased competition and escalating rents. It is also reported that Oliver had invested £4 million in the chains this year alone.

The 43-year-old entrepreneur appreciated the support of his staff and suppliers who “put their hearts and souls into the business”.

“I appreciate how difficult this is for everyone affected. We launched Jamie’s Italian in 2008 with the intention of positively disrupting mid-market dining in the UK high street, with great value and much higher quality ingredients, best-in-class animal welfare standards and an amazing team who shared my passion for great food and service. And we did exactly that,” Oliver said.

KPMG partner Will Wright made a statement on Tuesday, saying “The current trading environment for companies across the casual dining sector is as tough as I’ve ever seen.” He also said that all the staff of the restaurant chain will be paid till Tuesday.

While the union has requested for the promise that the staff of the restaurant chain of Jamie Oliver be “protected and paid all the money they’re owed, including wages, holiday and redundancy”. One of the staffs of Jaime’s Italian Valentine Balbinot, said, “It was just so devastating, we were not expecting this… it is really brutal.”

Continue Reading

Celebrities

Chelsea Flower Show: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s Day with Children

Published

on

Chelsea Flower Show

Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, has designed a garden for the Chelsea Flower Show. Her children, Prince George of Cambridge, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge and Prince Louis of Cambridge, along with their father Prince William visited the garden on Sunday.

The duchess aims to work on the early childhood development. Her garden aims to motivate children to spend more time outside, as she believes that helps the children in becoming “happy, healthy adults”. Her work will be unveiled at the Chelsea Flower Show in London this week.

Kate, in a letter to experts, wrote that it was “heart-breaking” to know there is a “long way to go” to make sure that all children grow up “happy, healthy, and equipped to be able to take every opportunity that comes their way”.

She further added, “I can understand that people [parents] are nervous about asking for help for fear of judgment, and how that sense of isolation can quickly become overriding and debilitating for any new parent.”

Kensington Palace (@kensingtonroyal), the official Instagram account of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, shared the pictures taken by photographer Matt Porteous of the family bonding at the garden. The royal children could be seen running and playing with their parents in the pictures.

In one of the pictures, toddler Louis, who was wearing a shorts and a cardigan, could be seen trying a swing with his father’s support. Four-year-old Charlotte also tried swinging on the swing.

Prince Louis along with his father Prince William

Five-year-old Prince George could be seen swinging his legs over a stream along with his sister Charlotte.

Prince George and Princess Charlotte

Kate’s garden for the Chelsea Flower Show has been co-created by landscape architects Andrée Davies and Adam White, along with the Royal Horticultural Society. The garden aims to bring out the benefits nature has on ones’ physical and mental well-being.

Princess Charlotte

The pictures surely depict a well-spent, happy Sunday by the royal family.

Continue Reading

Celebrities

DJ Khaled’s Album “Father of Asahd” is More Than Just Music

Published

on

DJ Khalid

Last updated on May 22nd, 2019

Pick any social media platform and it’s swamping with the DJ Khaled SZN!

On May 17, the American rapper-producer-DJ recently dropped his 11th studio album that featured dozens of top singers, hitting all sorts of music lovers in one go. Before the release of “Father of Asahd”, DJ Khaled posted a picture listing all the artists on Instagram with the caption, “Who’s on my album? ALL YOUR FAVORITES!”

The star-studded guest list highlighted the names of a number of singers, including Lil Wayne, Jay-Z, Future, Cardi B, Post Malone, Justin Bieber, Travis Scott, and many more. However, the name that caught the most attention was, Nipsey Hussle.

The world lost the Grammy-nominated rap artist died after he was shot on March 31 this year. The last message that he left on his Twitter was, “Having strong enemies is a blessing.” However, DJ Khaled’s latest album proved that Nipsey Hussle left some great friends behind, remembering him through several small gestures.

“Father of Asahd” features the late rapper’s final single, titled “Higher”, recorded in collaboration with John Legend. Sharing the story behind its video release, the American DJ announced that the entire song proceeds would be forwarded to the rapper’s children.

By far, 7 music videos out of the total 15 singles have been released on DJ Khaled’s official YouTube channel.

On May 18, he appeared on “Saturday Night Live” along with few several artists featured in the album. The DJ performed a medley of “Just Us,” “Weather the Storm” and “Higher”, in collaboration with J Balvin, John Legend, Lil Wayne, Meek Mill, Big Sean, Jeremih, Lil Baby and SZA.

The highlight of the performance was Nipsey Hussle’s image that was being projected behind the performers. Besides, the “Wild Thoughts” producer was seen wearing a hoodie with his rapper friend’s picture as a tribute. At the end of the performance, he said, “Long live Nipsey Hussle, the marathon continues.”

While only half the album is released, the love showered by the people is abundant. The “Father of Asahd”, named after his son has certainly become special for both DJ Khaled and his fans.

Continue Reading

Celebrities

Prince Charles Finally Gets to Meet his Fourth Grandson

Published

on

Prince Charles

Almost two weeks after the royal baby Archie’s birth, Grandfather Prince Charles finally gets an opportunity to meet his grandson. Being the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay, Prince Charles has been serving the heir apparent to the British Monarchy since 1952.

During the birth of the royal baby, Prince Charles was in Germany because of busy schedules and royal appointments. As a result, he missed the opportunity to see the newly born baby soon after his birth. He congratulated his son Prince Harry and daughter-in-law Meghan Markle for becoming father and mother.  

Charles’ former wife Princess Diana was largely missed on the auspicious occasion, who faced a tragic death in a car crash at Paris tunnel in 1997. Harry was very close to his mother and her death had a devastating impact on his mental and physical health. He missed her mother on various occasions.

In Princess Diana’s honour after her death, Harry involved his mother’s sisters in major decisions of his life. About two years ago, he even let his Aunts meet his would-be spouse Meghan ahead of their engagement. During his wedding, he invited his aunt Lady Jane to give a reading, treating her equally as his mother.

Recently, Harry also invited Diana’s whole family in his baby’s official birth announcement. Lady Jane was one of the firsts to meet the royal baby post his birth. Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also visited the baby earlier this week.

Little Archie has already met his maternal grandmother Doria Ragland and paternal great grandparents Prince Philip and Elizabeth II. He is the first multiracial, half-American child born in the immediate royal family.

The patients describing Harry’s happiness on becoming a father appreciated his recent visit to Children’s Hospital in Oxford.

Prince Charles visited the Frogmore Cottage to meet the newborn Archie for the first time. The 70-year-old is the next eligible king to the throne.

Continue Reading

Celebrities

Jeremy Kyle “Utterly Devastated” over Shutdown of his Show

Published

on

Jeremy Kyle

The Jeremy Kyle Show host Jeremy Kyle is disappointed and upset as the show has shut down permanently.

The show, which was being aired regularly since 2005, featured feuds between friend or family members on various subjects and the settlement by a lie detector test.

Following the death of a 63-year-old guest Steve Dymond, the broadcasting channel first decided to not broadcast the show in which the guest participated. However, soon amidst the pressure of the MP’s and public, the show has been permanently axed.

In his interview with media in regards with the shutdown of the show and death of a guest, Kyle said, “Myself and the production team I worked with for the last 14 years are all utterly devastated by the recent events. Our thoughts and sympathies are with Steve’s family at this incredibly sad time.”

ITV chief executive Dame Carolyn McCall declared on Wednesday morning that the show has been axed “given the gravity of recent events”. She said, “The Jeremy Kyle Show has had a loyal audience and has been made by a dedicated production team for 14 years, but now is the right time for the show to end.”

“Everyone at ITV’s thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of Steve Dymond,” she added.

According to the sources, Jeremy Kyle could be provided with a payout of £3 million, an amount similar to his annual income from the show.

The show came into light following the death of a guest, who participated in the show along with his fiancée to prove he was not guilty of cheating. But, the lie detector test showed otherwise.

Various guests shared mixed experiences about their appearances on The Jeremy Kyle Show and the after-care provided to them.

While, one of the guests, who claimed that the lie detector test provided false result, said that he was traumatised after the show. The show’s after-care provided an advice on the call and said, “Well it’s OK, you know, it’s time to move on, put it behind you.”

On the other hand, another guest claimed that the show and its after-care programme did help pass through the trauma and defended him whenever needed.

Damian Collins, chairman of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee, in regards to the show said, “Programmes like The Jeremy Kyle Show risk putting people who might be vulnerable on to a public stage at a point in their lives when they are unable to foresee the consequences, either for themselves or their families.”

“With an increasing demand for this type of programming, we’ll be examining broadcasting regulation in this area – is it fit for purpose?” he added.

As the guests, who appeared, shared mixed appearances about the show hosted by Jeremy Kyle, the suspension of the show might be a decision taken in haste. A proper investigation on the cause of the death along with independent examination on the after-care provided to the participants might help clear the air about the show.

Continue Reading

Trending