Connect with us


GPS Devices to Track Knife Crime Offenders in London

Mirror News Desk



Knife crime

Last updated on February 17th, 2019

Knife crime offenders in London will be tagged with tracking devices (GPS) upon their release from prison, said Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan. The move has been aimed at countering the increasing knife violence, which has claimed numerous lives in the past.

Mayor of London, who has been criticized for not doing much about the issue said: “The causes of violent crime are extremely complex and involve deep-seated problems – such as poverty, inequality, social alienation and a lack of opportunities for young people – that enforcement alone won’t solve and have been made much worse by huge government cuts to the police and preventative services. He added “This innovative pilot will build on the good work of the City Hall-funded violent crime taskforce by helping offenders integrate back into society and reducing the risk of reoffending, as well as giving the police the information they need to thoroughly investigate reported crimes.”

The GPS would be tagged to prisoners who have served custodial sentences for crimes such as possession, robbery, wounding, and Grievous Bodily Harm or GBH. The implementation of the rule is scheduled for 18 February and is expected to lower the number of stabbings.

The ankle tags will automatically record the movements of the offenders against the location of reported crimes and revert back to the police with the information. The tags would be tied for a year after the criminals are released from jail.

Carina Heckroodt, head of the London extremism, gangs and organized crime unit in the National Probation Service, said: “These tags will provide a constant physical reminder of an offender’s license conditions, encouraging them to comply with their restrictions and deterring them from further offending and protecting victims.”

Even recently, a teenager named Jaden Moodie was stabbed to death in east London, in an attack that barely lasted for 30 seconds. The boy reportedly suffered eight stab wounds, which were inflicted by three male attackers. Another attack, which happened a week earlier, saw a man stabbed to death in east Dulwich, south-east London.

A total of 128 homicides were recorded in London in 2018, the highest number in a calendar year this decade. The tags can thus control such happenings, and instill fear inside the attacker’s mind, who have been viciously claiming lives for a very long period of time.

“I am determined to prevent violent crime scarring our society, terrorizing our communities and, most devastatingly, destroying the lives of our next generation,” the home secretary, Sajid Javid wrote in The Times. “The causes of violent crime are complex, and while I wish there was just one solution to end this, there is no magic wand we can wave,” he added condemning the increasing knife attacks.

London’s violence reduction head is also presently looking into the past murder and stabbing cases to develop a “public health approach” for tackling the increasing violence.


Grace Millane Murder: Court Hearing Brings Out New Revelations

Mirror News Desk



Grace Millane

Another troubling incident in British backpacker Grace Millane’s case has been exposed, where a woman stated that she played dead to escape her death, while she struggled with the person who months later killed Millane.

In December 2018, 22-year old Millane’s disappearance in Auckland, New Zealand sparked international attention. A 26-year-old man was charged with the murder of Millane, whose dead body was found in the nearby Waitakere Ranges on December 9.

Grace Millane from England was on a backpacking tour during her gap year when she met a man via a dating app Tinder. She was last seen with her murderer at the CityLife Hotel on Queen Street, a day before her 23rd birthday on December 1 and was reported missing since then.

The murderer, while appearing on trial in January this year, pleaded not guilty. As his trial continued, he admitted of having consensual sex with Grace Millane on the night she died, disposing off her body and cleaning up her blood from the floor the apartment. Yet, he reaffirmed his not guilty plea. The proceedings are expected to last five weeks.

Millane’s death generated huge outcries from the general public as well as the tourists, who feared trusting Kiwis.

Another woman, who went on a Tinder date with the alleged killer in March 2018 – long before the death of Grace Millane, gave her testimony in an Auckland court on Monday, stating how she struggled to breathe during her sexual encounter with the man.

“He had grabbed my forearms and put all the pressure on my arms so I couldn’t breathe and I couldn’t move my arms. I started kicking, trying to indicate I couldn’t breathe. I was kicking violently. He would have felt me fighting,” the woman said, crying. “I was terrified,” stated the woman.

She recalled thinking “this can’t be the way I died” as the 27-year-old smothered her.

She told the court that she had since then avoided contact and lied about her movements, hoping the man would lose interest in her.

The defendant’s lawyer, Ron Mansfield, said the witness told his client that she wanted “to pursue a relationship with him after the encounter”, and had exchanged more than 700 messages after the alleged dispute, although the woman said she only continued to speak to him out of fear for her safety.

The woman said during her date with the man at his apartment, he told her that he had used a shotgun to scare away his sister’s boyfriend and had beaten up people from a bar next to the hotel.

Two other women, who matched with the man on Tinder, gave their evidences in Auckland court. One stated that Grace Millane’s murderer said that he likes to dominate women to feel “superior”. Another woman, later stated that she had consensual sex with the man, while his trial still continued.

Continue Reading


Court Stabs Ellie Gould’s Stabber with Imprisonment

Mirror News Desk



Ellie Gould

Taking life in a horrendous knife attack, a teenager repeatedly stabbed his ex-girlfriend in the neck in a “frenzied attack” before trying to prove that the victims’ wounds were self-inflicted.

A boy named Thomas Griffiths accepted committing knife attack, which killed Ellie Gould, 17, at her home in Calne, Wiltshire in May, after the latter ended their three-month-long relationship.

“Griffiths became angry, perhaps by Ellie’s continued rejection of him, and he attacked her,” prosecutor Richard Smith QC said.

The attacker went to her schoolmate’s home, killed her and then put her left hand on the knife handle, with the knife still stabbed in her neck. He also tried to clear his tracks and hid the bloodstained clothes in a wood before telling his friends that scratches on his face – inflicted by Ellie Gould in her defence – were result of a self-harm.

Later that day he also sent a series of “fake” messages to friends and to Ellie’s mobile phone asking if she wanted to meet.

The Verdict

However, at Bristol Crown Court, justice was finally served with the stabber getting jailed for a minimum tenure of 12 and a half years. To this, Ellie Gould’s family reacted by saying that Griffiths should never be released from the prison because he would remain always a peril for society; especially women.

Ellie’s mother, Carole Gould also said that there was nothing suspicious in Griffiths’ behaviour before her daughter’s death that “would ring alarm bells”. “We welcomed him into our home. We ate dinner with him,” she said.

The court heard that the night before Griffiths killed Ellie, the latter had told her friends that they had broken up and he had “not taken it well”. Besides, another statement from Ellie’s father, who found her lying on the kitchen floor, said that it was “the most frightening, horrific and saddest scene I have ever experienced” and it “fills my thoughts all day”.

The couple were A-level students at Hardenhuish School in Chippenham and had known each other since 7 years of age.

Sentencing him, Judge Justice Garnham told Griffiths that his actions had been a “frenzied knife attack” and “the most appalling act” on a “vulnerable young woman in her own home where she should have been safe”.

He said Ellie Gould had “tried desperately to fight back, scratching frantically at your neck” and “most chilling is that you left her on the kitchen floor with the knife still in her neck and with her left hand on the knife”.

Continue Reading


Kingpin Guilty of Horrendous Essex Lorry Deaths to be behind Bars Soon

Mirror News Desk



Essex Lorry Deaths

In the recent times, while the rise in the knife crimes has received mass attention, the incidents were not considered to be as horrific as the dreadful Essex Lorry deaths, wherein 39 people died, including 8 women.

It has been a week since the cargo truck was discovered at an industrial park in Essex. The authorities have not only nabbed the truck driver, presented him in the court but have also, found two more suspects responsible for the manslaughter and human trafficking, and have identified the honcho behind the spine-chilling crime.

It is believed that the mastermind behind the appalling crime is of Vietnamese origin.

The authorities investigating the Essex lorry deaths have claimed that they are looking for a man who goes by the name of Truong. According to the authorities, the mastermind kingpin has amassed a lot from the families who were looking to enter the UK by any means.

The authorities have also claimed that the mastermind behind the horrific incident is currently heading the “global ring” of illegal immigration in the UK.

Moreover, the investigation revealed that out of the 39 dead, at least 24 were the natives of Ha Tinh and Nghe An province in Vietnam.

However, the law authorities have not been able to identify the victims of the Essex Lorry deaths or their nationality, even though many of the Vietnamese families have come forward expressing concerns that their loved ones might be amongst the dead.

Earlier in the day, the detectives investigating the crime, involving human trafficking as well, said that two brothers from Armagh in Northern Ireland, Ronan Hughes and Christopher Hughes are under the suspicion of manslaughter and human trafficking.

The lead investigator of the mass manslaughter, Detective Chief Superintendent Stuart Hooper also said that the brothers have links with both Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland and one of them even has a business address in Northern Ireland.

The Essex lorry deaths have shook people to the core, although it is yet to be seen what the MPs at the House of Commons would do to ensure this does not happen again as such horrendous crimes are not only against the spirit of the country, but also reflect that a great amount of work needs to be done to prevent illegal immigration and human trafficking.

The Britons and the affected families are looking forward to see the mastermind behind the bars, so that justice is served to the unfortunates, who lost their lives in the gruesome act.

Continue Reading


Human Smuggler Calls Death of 39 people a “luck of the draw”

Mirror News Desk



luck of the draw

The murder mystery that brought global attention last week, has been partially unveiled, while the authorities continue investigations. The case brought in light the route, which the human traffickers have been using to smuggle people into the UK. One such suspect in custody laughed at the fate of the 39 migrants that were found dead in a refrigerated lorry, last week.

Hours after the lorry loaded with piles of dead bodies was found, the Daily Mail’s investigative journalists revealed that a UK-based Albanian was running a service on Facebook to assist in assisting migrants into the country. Under the pseudonym “Kace Kace”, Kastrijot Ahmati has been advertising his services through a group named, “Albanians in London”, which has more than 16,000 followers.

The Mail’s report on Sunday stated that the smuggler laughed off the tragedy calling it “the luck of the draw”, as he offered to sneak an undercover agent into the UK through same route. Ahmati, who resides in Walthamstow, North East London, spoke with the agent on Friday, two days after eight women and 31 men were found dead in the process.

He offered the same route via Belgium to the undercover agent, dismissing her constant concern that being smuggled through the set process could be dangerous. Stating that he has “done it myself”, he clearly claimed that he was too illegally smuggled in the back of a lorry. The reporter also said that she was scared after the death discovery of the 39, to which Ahmati said, “It is the luck of the draw. That is how we all came.”

Calling it “the quickest and shortest route to the UK”, he stated that the trip from Belgium could take between 12 hours to 16 hours, depending upon any possible delay of the ferry. He initially asked for £17,000 to arrange fake papers to smuggle the undercover agent from Albania capital Tirana to the UK, but later lowered it to £14,000. It was reported that the findings have been forwarded to the Met Police, and that any relevant information would also be passed to investigating officers.

Besides, the 25-year-old lorry driver, Maurice Robinson was also charged with 39 counts of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people. He is also facing charges of conspiracy to help unlawful immigration and money laundering. Besides, the man from Craigavon, County Armagh in Northern Ireland, is also expected to appear before Chelmsford Magistrates on Monday.

On Sunday morning, another UK-bound refrigerated lorry was heading towards England, when eight hypothermic Afghans were rescued. Comprising of 4 children, including two “tiny infants”, it was being carried by two Romanian truckers. The men attempting to drive on to a ferry were arrested at the port of Calais at 5 a.m., on Sunday.

At present, the British police is working with Vietnam to identify the 39 people, using the forensic samples that heir families gave.

Continue Reading


Horrifying Murder Mystery Erupts with 39 People Found Dead in a Truck

Mirror News Desk



murder mystery

A murder mystery emerged on October 23, after British police found the bodies of 39 people in a truck container outside of London. The huge cargo truck, believed to have come from Bulgaria, was discovered at an industrial park in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

Reported to have entered Britain via the Welsh port of Holyhead on Saturday, the truck was found by some ambulance workers at Waterglade Industrial Park in Grays in the county of Essex, a town around 25 miles (40 km) east of central London.

“This is a tragic incident where a large number of people have lost their lives. Our enquiries are ongoing to establish what has happened,” Essex Police Chief Superintendent Andrew Mariner said. “We are in the process of identifying the victims, however I anticipate that this could be a lengthy process.”

The driver, a 25-year-old man from Northern Island, was arrested on suspicion of murder, and remains in custody. However, he has not been charged or identified. Police said that all 39 people in the truck, including a teenager, were found dead at the scene.

The access to and from the industrial park was closed, while a cordon has been put in place.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson took to twitter and said that he was “appalled by this tragic incident”. He added that the government would work with the Essex police to establish what exactly happened. “My thoughts are with all those who lost their lives & their loved ones,” he said.

Police did not formally link the deaths to human trafficking, but a link was assumed because of the way the victims were crammed into the truck. Besides, a possibility was also raised that it entered the UK from Ireland to Holyhead in Wales on Saturday via ferry. However, the Irish police only said in an emailed statement that it was “monitoring the developing investigation in the U.K. and will provide every assistance possible”.

The Essex police also said that the force has not yet identified the 39 victims or where they came from. Deputy police chief Pippa Mills stated that the identification of victims “could be a lengthy process” and that the key line of inquiry will be to establish how the truck entered Ireland.

Human rights watchdog, Amnesty International called it “a heartbreaking and horrifying” incident. “People who are forced to take dangerous and sometimes fatal passages to reach the U.K. often do so because current immigration policies and practices deny them safe and legal options,” said a statement from Steve Valdez-Symonds, the group’s U.K. refugee and migrant rights director.

Continue Reading