Connect with us

Football

The Reds Emerge Victorious at Selhust Park, Defeating Palace by 2-0

Published

on

Liverpool defeats Crystal Palace

Last updated on September 24th, 2018

Jürgen Klopp and his side, Liverpool, are off to a flyer this Premier League season as the Reds bag 3 more points defeating Crystal palace by 2-0 in a premier league match, played at the Selhurst Park. The victory implies that The Reds are now placed second in the table, behind the defending champions Manchester city who are only ahead on goal difference.

Liverpool drew first blood as the Englishman, James Milner converted the penalty right before the half-time whistle. It was Mamadou Sakho’s foul who tripped Mohammed Salah in the box, and the referee had no choice, but to point at the spot.

Contrarily, it was Crystal Palace who had the chance to take the lead in the game when C. Benteke delivered a clever pass for W. Zaha, but he was unable to put that past Alisson Becker, in goal for Liverpool.

Liverpool defeats Crystal Palace

Palace’s attacking was pretty valiant and it was evident from early on in the match. Winger Andros Townsend also sent a warning, after he rattled against the bar, with an impressive effort from distance after cutting on to his left foot. However, the fortunes fluttered as the foul attempt in 45th minute to stop Salah, ended up in conceding the penalty and changing the complexion of the game.

Even in the second half, Liverpool continued from where they left and had a pretty good opportunity to increase their slender lead and double their advantage, however Sane was denied with a heroic save from Wayne Hennessey.

Besides, when Palace’s defender Wan-Bissaka was shown the red card in 75th minute, it became pretty evident that Liverpool were on the brink of another victory, which was later confirmed by mane, scoring late into the stoppage time.

Two games, two clean sheets and the only team that is yet to concede a goal in the Premier League, speaks volumes about the potential of Liverpool. The team will be hoping to maintain the momentum till the very end, and emerge as champions for the first time, since the league began back in 1992.

Football

Footballer Lee Taylor Pounced his BMW in an Urge to Retaliate Insult

Published

on

Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor, a footballer who plays for Margam Football Club, is accused of attacking a group of teenage boys at the game in Bridgend, South Wales with his BMW.

As reported to the Newport Crown Court, 11 youngsters were injured in the incident at Cornelly United’s ground. The victims had minor injuries, including cuts and bruises.

According to the information available pre- and post-incident, Lee Taylor, who was playing for Cornelly’s rivals Margam Football Club, indulged in an argument with a group of teenage boys because they taunted him for losing by 5-0.

As per Newport Crown Court hearing, the tension began soon after a group of teenage boys left the changing room on the evening of April 19 last year. Following the taunting by a teenage boy and his friends on Taylor losing the match he threatened to one boy: “You wanna go?” before getting behind the steering of his grey BMW, sparing the engine and then suddenly accelerating towards the boy and his friends.

Prosecutor Christopher Rees leading the case said “Taylor drove straight at the young boys, knocking them over like skittles at a bowling alley. It was a terrifying incident. ‘He had lost his temper. He deliberately mowed down the group using his vehicle as a one-tonne weapon to plough into the boys.”

 Rees further said that the act was utterly evil and intention was to hurt the boys otherwise there was no reason for him to accelerate suddenly. He also said that its just “sheer good fortune” that none of the boys were seriously injured but the possibility, looking at the incident was certainly high.

The intent of the incident also becomes clear as Lee Taylor did not hesitate to assault the boy and his friends, who held his bonnet and broke his windshield during the attack.

However, Lee Taylor, from Sandfields area of Port Talbot, has denied any such intention to cause harm to the boys despite various testimonies against his stance.

Continue Reading

Football

Champions League: Sadio Mane Helps Liverpool Reach Quarter-Finals

Published

on

Sadio Mane

On Wednesday, a stellar performance by Sadio Mane got Liverpool into quarter-finals. The team defeated and completely overshadowed their German opponents, Bayern Munich, by 3-1.

Five-time European champion Liverpool took control of the match in Munich and did not sway under the pressure of the last match of Round of 16, Leg 1, ending without any result. Liverpool became the fourth English Club to get into the quarter-finals after getting this season’s first away win in Europe.

While both the teams had the capability to turn the match into a nail-biting one, the mistakes by both the teams in possession of the ball turned the match into unsystematic event.

Sadio Mane scored the first goal of the match by shooting the ball into the empty net after Manuel Neuer made an unnecessary rush, an unexpected play by the player who made his 100th appearance into the Champions League.

However, the Bayern Munich got the score levelled with an unfortunate own goal by Liverpool defender Joel Matip while intercepting the pass, when the German winger tried passing the ball with a low cross to Robert Lewandoski after 13 minutes of the first goal of the match.

Centre Back Virgil Van Dijk quelled any wish to make a comeback in the game by scoring a header in the 69th minute of the match and converting the corner by James Milner into the goal. With this goal, Milner became the player providing the most number of assists (10) since the last season in the Champions League.

Sadio Mane crushed any remaining hopes of the German opponent by further scoring his second goal of the match, with a header with only six minutes remaining in the game. It was Mane’s 10th consecutive goal in the last 10 matches.

However, the match did not end for Liverpool as expected, as the left-back of the team Andrew Robertson picked up a yellow card in the stoppage time of the game, which means he will remain suspended in the first leg of the quarter-finals.

With Sadio Mane in form and morale gained by becoming fourth English team to get into the quarter-finals of the league, the Reds strengthened their chances to win the league for the sixth time since 2005.

Continue Reading

Football

Aston Villa’s Jack Grealish Attacked by Spectator during Match with Birmingham

Published

on

Jack Grealish

Jack Grealish of Aston Villa was attacked by a spectator who came running on to the pitch during a match with Birmingham City on Sunday.

The attacker Paul Mitchell, who belongs to Rubery and is 27-years-old, was arrested by the police and is expected to appear in the court on Monday.

At the 10th minute, Mitchell – wearing a Birmingham City jacket – entered the pitch from the home section and swung his arm over the face of Jack Grealish. He then blew kisses at the crowd and was led away by stewardess.

“An attack on a player is completely unacceptable and outrageous,” said the match commander, Superintendent Nick Rowe.

“The vast majority of people were well behaved but unfortunately the occasion has been marred by this.”

Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish sat on the St Andrew’s turf after the incident. Players from both the teams helped him. The team won by 1-0, after the captain scored in the 67th minute.

The Football Association “strongly condemned the incident”, saying that it would be “working with the police, the relevant authorities and the club to ensure the appropriate action is taken”.

The EFL added: “It’s a situation no player should ever be faced with.

“Those playing in the game must be able to do so safe in the knowledge they will not be subjected to this type of behaviour. While this incident falls within the remit of the Football Association, we will work with all the relevant parties to address the issue of player and match officials’ safety on the pitch and ensure the appropriate action is taken.”

Birmingham City apologised to the Villa team and Jack Grealish as soon as the game finished. They also endured to check the stadium safety thoroughly and enhance the procedures if need be.

“We deplore the behaviour of the individual who committed this act and rest assured he will be banned from St Andrew’s for life,” said the club statement.

“The club will also support any further punishment this individual may face in the eyes of the law. What happened has no place in football or society. Jack is a Birmingham lad and regardless of club allegiance should not have been subjected to this – there are no excuses.”

In a statement, Aston Villa said they were “appalled by the disgraceful attack” and that a “red line has been crossed by this cowardly on-field assault.

“Local rivalries are part of the fabric of the game. However, as we are sure our friends at Birmingham City would agree, to have a player’s personal safety placed under such jeopardy is a serious cause for concern for the entire football community.”

Continue Reading

Football

Manchester United Confirms Quarter-Final Berth in Champions League

Published

on

Manchester United reaches quarter finals in Champions League

Last updated on March 11th, 2019

Manchester United interim manager, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, led his club into the Champions League quarter-finals after a dramatic night in Parc des Princes saw Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) crash out of the competition.

The odds were majorly against United in Paris, after a poor display at Old Trafford put them 2 goals behind.

Romelu Lukaku, however, got ‘The Red Devils’ going after he scored twice before Marcus Rashford converted from the spot in dying minutes, to level the score on aggregate (3-3). However, Manchester United went through on away goals. PSG also had a succession of chances, but only managed netting once against David de Gea.

“It’s this club. It’s what we do, that’s Man Utd,” said Solskjaer. “That’s the Champions League, it’s what it does,” he added.

The Norwegian has seen a remarkable turnaround in the fortunes of the team, with 14 victories from 17 games in all competitions, including away victories at Tottenham, Arsenal, Chelsea and now, PSG.

Last 16 of the Champions league has not been a happy hunting ground for PSG, and the team thrashed out for the third-year-running, despite holding a major advantage after first leg. Only two seasons ago, the same happened against Barcelona, when they defeated them 4-0 in the first leg, and lost 6-1 in the second, to head to the exits.

United’s success also implies that the club has reached the last eight of competition after 5 years. The draw for quarters will be conducted on 15 March. Crowned champions on three occasions, United would love to go all the way and lift the coveted trophy once again.

“It’s a typical Manchester United night. We had a game plan and the belief in the boys was what we hoped for. Everyone shares a huge pride.” Solskjaer said, “The players were really great. They were focused, they listened to all the instructions like in training, and on the pitch they knew that we had to defend well. There was a lot of quality,” he added praising everyone’s effort.

Manchester United will play against Arsenal in the Premier League next, before playing Wolves in the FA Cup quarter-finals.

Continue Reading

Football

Fulham Seeks Winning Spree Ousting Claudio Ranieri in 106 Days

Published

on

claudio ranieri

Last updated on March 3rd, 2019

Fulham, in order to find the winning spree have multiplied the pace of sacking managers, with Claudio Ranieri biting the dust in only 106 days after he became in charge of the team. He will be temporarily replaced with first-team coach Scott Parker.

The Italian’s last game ended in a 2-0 defeat against Southampton, leaving the club at 19th position, 10 points adrift of the relegation zone. Ranieri replaced Slavisa Jokanovic when Fulham kicked off the sacking season.

Within a short tenure at the club, Ranieri tasted success only in his three games out of 17 he looked over as the manager. This included a 3-2 victory over Southampton to kick off his campaign. However, 11 defeats in the following weeks were too heavy to let him continue with his service.

Chairman Shahid Khan said in a statement: “Claudio walked into a difficult situation, inheriting a side that gained only one point in its prior eight matches, and he provided an immediate boost by leading our club to nine points in his first eight matches as manager. Though we were unable to maintain that pace thereafter, I am grateful for his effort. Claudio leaves Fulham as our friend and he will undoubtedly experience success again soon.” He added, “Scott’s immediate assignment is merely to help us stabilize, grow and rediscover ourselves as a football club.”

Ranieri led Leicester City to a marvelous feat in 2016, when the team lifted their maiden Premier League trophy to shock the entire football world. However, nothing has been same since for the Italian, who spent a season at French Ligue 1 side Nantes, and then returned to England’s top-flight league with the hope of winning big again, only to find him ousted once again.

“I am obviously disappointed with the recent results and that we could not build on the good start we made following my appointment. Finally, I would like to thank the club, the players and the fans for the support they have given me during my time at the club,” Ranieri said after the news.

Parker will become Fulham’s sixth manager in 56 Premier League games after Martin Jol, Rene Meulensteen, Felix Magath, Jokanovic, and Ranieri.

Continue Reading

Trending