Connect with us

World

Music Goes Silent as African Singer John De’Mathew Dies

Published

on

De’Mathew, John De’Mathew

The African music industry and fans mourned on Monday, as the Kenya police announced death of John De’ Mathew. The musician reportedly died in a fatal car crash in Thika, a town that is just outside the capital Nairobi.

The singer, real name John Ng’ang’a, was alone in his car that he was driving on Sunday night. The Kenyam police stated that the car collided with a lorry, while De’Mathew was returning from a fundraiser, Harambee. He had attended the event earlier in support of fellow musician Peter Kigia.

According to local media reports, the musician was returning after performing at the event, when the accident took place. He was soon taken to the Thika Nursing Home, where he was later pronounced dead.
John De’Mathew was popular for singing in Kenya’s Kikuyu language and his music style known as Benga, a genre that features on fast-paced guitar tunes.

Kenyan Vice President William Ruto paid his accolade to the singer, describing him as a vivid performer, who was capable of tackling social problems through his lyrics. “De Mathew was a great composer of Kikuyu lyrics, which carried undertones of societal ills, including alcoholism and promoting peace and cohesion in society,” Ruto said in a post on Twitter.

Referring to one of De’Mathew’s songs, one fan said that, “Mbeú Njíthí was one great song addressing the alcoholism problem among the Kikuyu men (and especially young men).”

Identified by his signature look of white cowboy hat, De’Mathew produced more than 50 albums and sang more than 300 songs in his career of three decades.

Kenyan lawmaker and musician, Charles Njagua Kanyi said John De’Mathew’s songs inspired him to opt music. “While growing up, I listened a lot to John DeMathew. His music inspired me greatly to become the musician I am today. I am Deeply saddened by his untimely demise following a tragic road accident today.. May His soul rest well in eternal peace,” the lawmaker said.

On Sunday night, fans shared videos of his last performance on social media, expressing their sorrow and highlighting how Kenya lost a music giant. Many tweeted with the hashtag #RIPDeMathew to share their fond memories of the musician.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

World

Freight accident in Congo kills at least 50 stowaways

Published

on

Freight accident in Congo kills at least 50

Over 50 people lost their lives after a cargo train derailed in southeastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) on September 12.

The train got off the track at 3am in Tanganyika (province) near Mayibaridi. The authorities confirmed a provisional toll of 50 dead and several others wounded,” minister for humanitarian action, Steve Mbikayi, said in a tweet.

However, according to the scene witnesses and local media, more than a hundred people are feared killed in the Congo train accident.

Victor Umba, the union head of the national rail company SNCC, said the cargo train was slated to cover its route from the town of Nyunzu to the town of Niemba when two coaches fell off the tracks.

“Those who died in this derailment were stowaways. It is impossible for the SNCC to provide any kind of toll,” Umba said.

He further added that the SNCC’s chief had reached the provincial capital of Kalemie for figuring out a way to lift the coaches. “It seems that many stowaways are trapped under the derailed carriages”.

DRC railways has been struggling through a bad record for safety, accidents often due to derelict tracks and decrepit locomotives, which are majorly outdated and operating since 1960s.

In March, over 24 people were killed and 31 were wounded after a cargo train loaded with illegal passengers met an accident in the central province of Kasai.

In November 2018, at least 10 stowaways were killed along with 24 wounded close to the eastern town of Samba. The accident was a result of failed brakes.

In November 2017, over 35 people lost their lives when a cargo train with 13 oil tankers dropped into a valley in southern Lualaba region.

Similar to several state companies in DR Congo, the SNCC is falling into bankruptcy and its erstwhile chief Sylvestre Ilunga is the country’s current prime minister.

Continue Reading

World

Ashura panic-rush kills 31 in Iraq, death toll expected to rise

Published

on

Ashura

At least 31 people were killed during Ashura in a tragic stampede in Iraq’s holy city of Karbala after a footbridge suddenly plummeted. Over 100 people were wounded, and according to the Iraqi Health Ministry, the death toll was expected to increase as a couple of wounded were in critical condition.

The incident took place while the Ashura festival procession was nearing end, as the pilgrims marked Shi’ite Muslim holy rituals at the shrine of Imam Hussein. Shrine officials said the Iraq stampede started at the main entry of the ornate building.

The annual pilgrimage marking the death of the Prophet Mohammed’s grandson in battle in 680 draws hundreds of thousands of Shi’ite Muslims to Karbala from around the world.

On this day Shi’ite Muslims commemorate the killing of Hussein in A.D. 680. He was a grandson of the Prophet Muhammad, and was killed by a rival Muslim faction, which is believed to cause rift between Shiite and Sunni Islam. For Shiites, Hussein and his line of descent are the heirs of the prophet by right.

The Shiites pilgrims observe the day with mourning and hitting themselves and some wounding their heads with sharp blades.

In the past, radical Sunni militants have targeted Ashura processions, however, this year was quite peaceful up to the breaking of the walkway. The officials told that the bridge collapsed in the mid of the so-called Tweireej run, when thousands of pilgrims were running toward the Imam Hussein shrine.

That run signifies the time when maternal cousins of Hussein’s half brother came running across a mile fromTweireej village to save him, but found that he was killed.

As the people saw other pilgrims rushing in panic, stampede got instigated near the gold-domed Imam Hussein shrine, which crushed many people to death.

According to the Associated Press, yesterday’s stampede was the most hazardous in a long time during Ashura commemorations in Karbala, which is located over 50 miles south of Baghdad.

Continue Reading

World

Iranian Oil Tanker Adrian Darya 1 in Criticism from British Officials

Published

on

Adrian Darya 1

Recently, the 1997 built Iranian oil tanker Adrian Darya 1 is in criticism from the British officials. On Tuesday, Britain’s foreign minister Dominic Raab accused the Iranian tanker to have sold its crude oil to Assad regime led by the Syrian politician Bashar Hafez al-Assad, who became the president of Syria in 2000.  

“Iran has shown complete disregard for its own assurances over Adrian Darya 1”, said Dominic Raab.

As known from the previous data, the Iranian officials assured that they would not sell crude to any other country, but the Iranian’s act of disregarding their own assurances aggravated the British officials amid continued provoking indifferences with the oil-rich country.  

The conflicts between both the UK and Iran seems to be growing from a long time. Not only that, the Iranian officials are also having a hard time dealing with the US as the latter unilaterally pulled out of a 2015 nuclear deal. Furthermore, the US also imposed various sanctions on Iran, that hindered Iran’s exports to the other Middle-Eastern countries.

In regards to Britain’s accuses, the US State Department on Tuesday said that the Iranian officials have deceived the international community by going back from their words, stressing on the fact that they did sell illicit oil to Assad’s regime.

Previously, Iran seized a British-flagged tanker in the strait of Hormuz in July. The move came two weeks later when the British officials detained an Iranian tanker off the coast of Gibraltar. The Iranian oil tanker Grace 1, which is now named as Adrian Darya 1, was seized for illegally transporting oil to Syria in July, with the claims that the shipping breached the EU sanctions.

The British Royal Marines, however released the Iranian vessel on August 15, with assurances from Tehran that the ship would not discharge its 2.1 million barrels of oil in Syria. But the recent accusations are a clear contradiction to Iran’s previous statements. The British officials made it clear that Iran breached the made promises, transferring oil to Syria through Adrian Darya 1.

Dissatisfied with Iranian’s move, Dominic Raab said, “This sale of oil to (Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s) brutal regime is part of a pattern of behavior by the Government of Iran designed to disrupt regional security.”

As the situation appears, the government might raise the entire issue of illicit transport of oil through Adrian Darya 1 in the UN meeting ahead this month.

Continue Reading

World

China Threatened Over UK Warships Deployment in South China Sea

Published

on

UK Warships

The UK-China feud in the international waters has been in continuation from a long time. Recently, the Chinese officials warned the government against sailing of the UK warships through the disputed waters in the South China Sea.

Against China’s continuous warnings, the Naval Chiefs claimed that they have every right to sail to the vast South China Sea that provides free navigation of shipping. The rumours that the British officials would be sending an aircraft carrier to the disputed Spratly Islands that has been often claimed by a number of nations in the region including China, Vietnam and the Philippines, along with US jets on board gave way to more insecurities in the South China Sea.

The Chinese officials have warned that in accordance to such hostility, Beijing would respond with military perspective. The US’ involvement with the UK was seen as a major threat by China, which believed that the duo’s joining hands would challenge or violate the sovereignty and territorial integrity of China.

The US often conducts a freedom of navigation operations in the South China Sea to challenge China’s territorial claim. They have even accused China of illegally building military facilities on certain islands, which the latter has called an alleged assumption by the US officials. The Chinese Ambassador to the UK Liu Xiaoming said “Britain should not do this dirty job for somebody else.”

Xiaoming clearly rejected the arguments, which stated that the Royal Navy would be upholding international rules concerning Freedom of Navigation. He further expressed his discontent and objected on the UK warships’ entering into the Chinese territorial waters.

It is not the first time that the situations have been difficult for both the UK and China. Earlier, the relations between both the nations severed in the wake of the ongoing Hong Kong protests that affected China’s authority in the territory. With Britain’s interference, supporting the protestors, Xiaoming reiterated on the fact that Hong Kong is a part of China and the foreign countries shouldn’t interfere in the territory’s affairs.

Despite the warnings from China, the British officials would deploy their new aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth to the South China Sea in 2021. One of the major aims of the government behind the entire UK warships scenario is to protect the international law, providing freedom of navigation at sea and in the air. Through this the government largely aims to oppose “militarization” of the South China Sea, maintaining regional security in the region.

Continue Reading

World

Hundreds evacuated as bushfires disrupt Australia

Published

on

Hundreds evacuated as bushfires disrupt Australia

Hundreds of people were forced to flee their homes after firefighters struggled to extinguish more than 130 bushfires across Australia’s New South Wales and Queensland.

On Tuesday, over 58 fires were blazing in an area spanning across 100,000 hectares in New South Wales.

Several homes were destroyed by the fire but officials have commended the “Herculean” operation of firefighters to combat the spreading fire. Over 300 firefighters buckled down on Monday night in an attempt to control a major front on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast.

It was observed that heavy winds winnowed bushfires across Australia’s two states, following which the flames ran out of control in neighboring areas, devastating thousands of hectares of land.

During an interaction with the reporters, Queensland Police Commissioner Katrina Carroll said at least eight of these bushfires are suspected to be unnatural and will be subjected to investigation.

Carroll said: “The consequences of some of these fires are dire. People can die. Buildings and residences are being destroyed.”

According to the data obtained by fire service officials, dropping humidity levels, strong winds and parched vegetation in the northeastern state of Queensland have caused over 85 fires that have impacted at least 84 houses in the state.

Acting Queensland premier Jackie Trad confirmed that more than 400 people took refuge in evacuation centres after fire either destroyed their homes or are likely to have an impact. She also said that there were no reports of any causalities so far.

“Apart from Sunshine Coast, we are still seeing fires right throughout the state,” Trad added.

Meanwhile in New South Wales, the fire extinguishing team was battling to contain over 55 fires, which destroyed five properties, according to the NSW Rural Fire Service.

This year, bushfires in Australia took off quite earlier than usual in the southern hemisphere spring. Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology released a statement saying heavy storms would further escalate on Tuesday, however fire warnings might ease till Wednesday.

Continue Reading

Trending