Connect with us

Celebrities

Epstein Scandal Haunts Prince Andrew, Forcing him to Miss out Royal Reception

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Prince Andrew

Following the controversial interview with BBC, Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, will not attend the reception for NATO allies, hosted by Queen Elizabeth II next Tuesday at the Buckingham Palace.

59-year-old Duke has faced a lot of criticism after his interview, wherein he mentioned the details about his friendship with the deceased and convicted paedophile, Jeffrey Epstein.

Last week, the Duke of York announced his resignation from public duties as the royal member for the “foreseeable future”. However, according to a source, the Queen relieved him of duties as she feared the controversy and the scandal could ruin the reputation of the royal family.

While Prince Andrew will no longer receive $323,000 under Sovereign Grant allowance, he will still receive his income from the private funds of the Queen, meaning that he is still a member of the royal family even though he will not carry out his public duties.

On the other hand, the reception is being held to mark the 70th anniversary of the military alliance and will welcome the leader of the nations and their partners. Along with the Queen, possible successor and her son Prince Charles and his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge, Catherine will officially welcome the guests.

Another key detail that made news was how Prince Charles tackled the disastrous interview of Prince Andrew. According to the sources, Prince Charles played a key role in the latter’s stepping down from the royal duties.

A royal source revealed, “The scandal surrounding Andrew and Epstein gave Charles an opportunity to step in to show that he can run The Firm. No one is bigger than the institution of the royal family. Not even Andrew, the Queen’s favourite son.”

“Charles recognised that and acted decisively — like the king he may well soon be. This was the moment when Charles stepped up as Prince Regent, the Shadow King,” the source added.

Celebrities

Official Charts Company Hails Ed Sheeran as Artist of the Decade

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Official Charts Company

On Wednesday, the Official Charts Company (OCC) has named Ed Sheeran as “UK’s Official Number 1 Artist of the Decade”.

The Suffolk-based singer-songwriter is the recipient of a special Official Chart Record Breaker Award as he provided 12 chart-topping albums and singles in the last decade and topped the chart of albums and singles for a total of 79 weeks.

While his albums topped the chart for 41 weeks, his singles remained at top for 38 weeks, a total of 79 weeks, which is higher than any other artist. Additionally, the 28-year-old singer has spent a total of 572 weeks in Top 40 singles chart.

The biggest hit of the past decade was Sheeran’s ‘Shape of You’, as it topped the list for 14 weeks and sold more than 4.5 million copies.

Speaking on the accolade received from the Official Charts Company, Ed Sheeran said, “Thank you to everyone who’s supported me over the past 10 years, especially my amazing fans. Here’s to the next 10.”

“This is nuts – I didn’t really expect to have a career past five years, so to be able to have done it for a decade,… Thank you for your support,” he added.

With this achievement, Sheeran is now the third recipient of the prestigious Official Record Breaker award from the OCC. Besides Sheeran, Justin Bieber and Sir Paul McCartney are the only receipts of the glorious award.

“UK’s Official Number 1 Artist of the Decade” title is the latest addition in Sheeran’s career, which is currently at its peak due to his two-year Divide tour termed as highest-grossing tour ever. According to the stats, the tour amassed a total of £558million, completely shattering the record set by U2 in 2011.

Speaking on the journey of Ed Sheeran, CEO of Official Charts Company Martin Tablot, said, “Ed truly has dominated this decade and is a worthy recipient of this amazing new award.”  

“At the start of the decade, he was a little known (albeit highly rated) young 18-year-old lad from Suffolk – but his catalogue of achievements since then are genuinely remarkable. Today, he is firmly established among the highest level of global music superstars.”

Although the past decade has been quite eventful for the singing community, the progress which Ed Sheeran has seen is not only rare but also something that can be marvelled at and remains an inspiration for upcoming singers.

Continue Reading

Celebrities

UK-Kuwait’s Friendship Treaty Anniversary to be Honoured by Prince William

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Prince William

The Duke of Cambridge, Prince William, after completing his first ever royal tour to Pakistan in mid-October, has embarked another journey to the Middle East. As part of his second tour, the Duke is officially visiting Kuwait and Oman.

The only difference is that this time William landed in Kuwait without any companion, on Sunday. The four-day visit comes as his first historic royal tour of the region, where he is expected to pay tribute to the UK’s historic ties with Kuwait and Oman, highlighting strong links and cooperation in many areas, including environment, and defence.

Earlier, the Duke of Cambridge embarked a tour to Pakistan with his wife Kate Middleton, where the royals together focussed on strengthening the UK-Pakistan relations.

Prince William landed in Kuwait on Sunday evening, where he was greeted by Britain’s Ambassador to the UK, Michael Davenport. Sheikh Ali Al-Jarrah Al-Sabah, minister of the Amiri Diwan, the Amir’s court, also welcomed William.

On Monday, the Duke of Cambridge visited Jahra Nature Reserve just outside Kuwait City, to discover more about the country’s ambitious plans to protect its natural environment. He was shown eagles and flamingos in Kuwait’s only non-marine wetland.

Prince William also joined Kuwaiti and UK troops on a “Desert Warrior” exercise to gain experience about Kuwaitis’ traditional desert lifestyle and delighted his fans by posting a glimpse into his Middle Eastern tour on Monday night.

In the context of the Duke of Cambridge’s visit, the royal officials stated, “From the modern capitals of Kuwait City and Muscat, to the vast Kuwaiti deserts and stunning wadis in the Omani mountains, the visit will take in both countries’ unique cultures, their beautiful landscapes, and diverse communities.”  

Prince William’s visit is to coincide with the 120th anniversary of the signing of a friendship treaty between Britain and Kuwait, which the delegates of both the countries celebrated in early January at Sheraton Hotel.

The aim of the treaty has largely been to maintain the strong, strategic and historical ties between Kuwait and the UK for the years ahead. Prince William’s visit will renew the royal family’s personal bonds with the Gulf state’s ruling Al Sabah family.

Simultaneously, such historic tours would help the Duke of Cambridge to know more about how the UK has maintained cultural and historical relations with diversified Middle Eastern nations. It would in turn benefit him in the longer run as he is the second in line to the British throne after Prince Charles.  

After his engagements in Kuwait, Prince William would visit Oman, where he would spend time in Musandam, to find out more about the Royal Navy of Oman.

Continue Reading

Celebrities

Neck Injury Leaves John Barrowman Feeling Low About Show

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

john barrowman

The American-British Actor John Barrowman who was rushed to hospital with a serious neck injury, has revealed that he felt upset because he had to cancel his Fabulous Christmas show.

While taking it to Instagram John noted that the doctors have advised him not to perform, and so he had made a really tough decision to cancel his upcoming show on 30th November and 1st December.

“I am so disappointed and upset as I was looking forward to seeing you all, I feel I am letting everyone down, but it’s simply not possible for me to do the show in my current condition,” he said in his statement on Instagram.

The star of Doctor Who and Torchwood was due to initiate his eight day UK tour at the Bristol Hippodrome on Saturday, and said in a tweet that the injury made it “impossible to sing and move”.

Although, unknown what has exactly caused the injury, it was revealed on Twitter that he suffered a “C5/6 facet joint injury” and will receive “intra spinal injections” as treatment.

As known, if the cartilage inside the facet joint breaks down, it becomes inflamed and triggers pain signals in nearby nerve endings.

The star later shared a picture with his husband Scott Gill, giving the camera a thumbs up, as he headed for a MRI scan. In the post, the star also promised to keep his fans updated on the progress.

However, despite assurance, the fans expressed concern for the actor, with one telling him: “Oh no all the best wishes sweetheart,” and another adding: “Hope you’re ok!”

Meanwhile, ticket holders for the Bristol performance have been told that they can receive a refund or transfer their ticket to the performance in Oxford on December 14. A performance at the SEC Armadillo in Glasgow on December 1, has been postponed and rescheduled to December 3.

John Barrowman appeared on last year’s series of I’m a Celebrity…Get me Out of Here! and finished in third place.

Continue Reading

Celebrities

Halima Aden Decides to Keep Moving with Her Hijab

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Halima Aden Decides to Keep Moving with Her Hijab

The first hijab-wearing model, Halima Aden broke the glass ceiling in 2016 by becoming Miss America. However, criticism has always moved in line with her success. Last week, Aden took to her official account on Instagram, where she shared her journey and refused to change.

In a personal post, along with her picture as a young girl wearing the hijab, she made clear of not backing down from her choice of wearing the head scarf representing her beliefs. “My hijab is not going anywhere.. not today, not tomorrow, not ever,” she wrote.

The Somali-born model from a refugee camp in Kenya moved to the United States at the age of six. At 22, Aden decided to step up and paint the fashion world in new colours. After the first success in 2016, she entered the mainstream fashion world the next year, where she walked for Kanye West’s Yeezy fashion show in New York.

In these three years, she had not just walked for big brands, but also made appearance on covers like CR Fashion Book. Besides, she has also starred in campaigns for Burberry, Nike, Sports Illustrated, and others. However, where most have accepted her, some have been against her appearance, which speaks of her following Islam.

A well-known global face, Halima Aden is believed to have been encountering mean comments from several users for being a Muslim refugee. “The road has been long and very painful at times but also so incredibly rewarding,” she wrote.

“I’m not asking you to stop the criticism,” she continued, “I’m just asking you to see me as a human being. It’s easy to pass judgement when you’ve never walked a mile in someone’s shoes.”

Several celebrities came up to encourage Aden. “Louder, for the ones in the back, trying not to hear it,” wrote Queer Eye’s Tan France.

Actresses Yara Shahidi and Storm Reid also supported her, calling her post “beautiful” and a “reminder to continue seeing one another”.

In a country like the US, where Islamophobia is spreading at a greater pace, Halima Aden has not just become a model, but a role model for many. Besides, where criticism has remained, she has sought her ways of emerging better and stronger.

Continue Reading

Celebrities

Kylie Cosmetics to Go Global after Jenner Strikes New Deal

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Kylie

Kylie Jenner, the world’s youngest self-made billionaire as per Forbes, is set to sell majority stake in her company Kylie Cosmetics, a New-York based firm.

As revealed, Kylie Jenner will sell 51 per cent of her stake in the company to Coty Inc. for $600 million. The company already owns a number of international consumer beauty brands, including CoverGirl. The move is expected to help Jenner expand her brand globally and enter new beauty categories, the firms collectively said in a press release on Monday.

The chairman of Coty’s board called Kylie a “modern-day icon, with an incredible sense of the beauty consumer”.

Jenner would still stay the company’s creative leader. Her team will also continue to handle her creative and communications efforts notably, because she is one of the most followed personalities on social media. The 22-year-old has 150 million followers on Instagram and 30 million on Twitter.

Interestingly, her influence is such that when she tweeted that she doesn’t use Snapchat anymore, the company’s stock market value reduced by $1.3 billion.

“This partnership will allow me and my team to stay focused on the creation and development of each product while building the brand into an international beauty powerhouse,” Jenner said.

As per Coty, Kylie’s cosmetics brand has generated approximately $177 million in revenue over the past year. Coty CEO Pierre Laubies said that the deal is “an exciting next step” that will change the way they function and leverage their core strengths around fragrances, cosmetics and skincare, while allowing the flagship brand to reach masses.

Jenner launched Kylie Cosmetics back in 2015 with a line of lipsticks, and got recognition with products such as, nude lip liners and lipsticks. The brand also started selling via its online website, Ulta Beauty, and has since expanded into face-makeup and skincare.

Although Kylie is the youngest, she earns the most in the Kardashian family. And given the speed of her brand’s expansion and favoritism amongst cosmetic users, Kylie looks on course to tumble one record after the other.

Continue Reading

Trending