Connect with us

Crime

‘Talk More Act Less’ as Knife Attacks rise in Sadiq Khan’s Reign

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Knife attacks in London

The knife attacks in London and the increasing number of deaths each day continue to spread like a wild fire. The death row in the nation is not only its failure of implementing the security policies, but also of Labor’s and London’s current Mayor, Sadiq Khan, who has been continuously criticized for his ‘talk more act less’ approach.

Among the recent statements made by Sadiq Khan against the violent crime in the capital he expressed that the crime will not be solved “overnight”, unveiling his plan to focus on the bloodshed as a public health concern. The basis of which, is derived from the same strategy as used by the Scotland, and establishes that a root cause must first be addressed to stop the crime. The mayor for which, announced an initial funding of £500,000 in its ode to divert young people away from the crime.

The strategy though looks like brilliant on the papers, but lacks a real time implementation. There have been 100 killing in the capital so far this year, with one third of the victims aged between 16 to 24. Besides, one the most recent knife attacks came in east London on Tuesday, and the 19-year-old suffered two major wounds, after being stabbed in the back.

Later speaking on the policy of Sadiq Khan, Shaun Bailey question his ability to implement the policy and pointed out Mr Khan had “lost control of the streets” and wasted money on a “bloated” bureaucracy.He also highlighted his unsuccessful reign as Mayor and questioned his leadership skills.

The concerns are really vowing to become a headache and a corresponding insight into statistics reveals the horrifying reality, which is even hard to engulf. According to the stats issued by Metropolitan Police figures, there were an astounding 1,438 stabbings in the capital, within the first four months of 2018. Likewise, back in July of 2016 there were 1,030 knife accidents shortly after the Mayor took power, but all records were shattered following 1,371 knife incidents in June this year.

Therefore, what Mr Bailey looks forward to is ‘act more and talk less’, which hasn’t yet been implemented. According to his plans an ultra-efficient artificial intelligence used by New York Police Departments, which monitors a database combining records from 9,000 CCTV cameras, 500 car number plate readers and even callouts for citizens, must be highhandedly implemented. This would not only help in identification of criminals, but would also instill fear amongst them. Clearly, a better strategy, with a much brighter potential to stop such horrendous crimes.

Crime

Tate Modern Gallery Horror: Jonty Bravery Admits Pushing 6-Year-Old

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Jonty Bravery

18-year-old Jonty Bravery has admitted to pushing a six-year-old French boy from the viewing platform at the 10th floor of the Tate Modern gallery in London on August 4. Explaining the reason behind the horrendous act, Bravery said he wanted to be on TV and highlight his autism treatment.

The incident that happened early August left the child with a bleed to the brain, along with a fractured spine, a leg and an arm.

During the hearing, the court was told that after the incident, Bravery approached a staff at Tate Modern said, “I think I’ve murdered someone, I’ve just thrown someone off the balcony.”

Jonty Bravery, who was 17 at the time of incident and could not be named until he turned 18, has admitted to the attempted murder at the Old Bailey and will be sentenced in February.

The victim’s family has been providing regular updates on the condition of the kid. In October, the family revealed that the boy has moved into a rehabilitation centre from the intensive care unit.

In another update in November, the family revealed that although the kid is using a wheelchair, he can move his legs “just a tiny bit”.

During his interview with police, Ealing based Jonty Bravery said, “I wanted to be on the news, who I am and why I did it, so when it is official no-one can say anything else.”

It came into notice at the hearing that Bravery had autistic spectrum disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and might develop a personality disorder as well. He had been held at Broadmoor Hospital since mid-October.

Speaking about the ordeal their son had to endure in  the past months, the child’s family has claimed that their son still needs extensive rehabilitation as he is yet to recover the movement in his limbs or full brain function.

The family said, “He is constantly awoken by pain and he can’t communicate that pain or call out to hospital staff. Life stopped for us four months ago. We don’t know when, or even if, we will be able to return to work, or return to our home, which is not adapted for a wheelchair. We are exhausted, we don’t know where this all leads, but we go on.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Citizens Fear Recurrence of London Bridge Attack amid Increased Immigration Flow

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

London Bridge attack

Last updated on December 2nd, 2019

Knife attacks in London have broken records in the past two consecutive years, with more than 15,000 attacks noted by the police. London bridge attack that took place on Friday around 2pm is another unfateful event added to the list of the 2019 attacks in the country.

The suspected terrorist, Usman Khan was shot dead by the police on London Bridge after he fatally stabbed two people in the attack that began at a justice conference in Fishmongers’ Hall. Two other women and one man were injured and taken to hospital.

It was noted that Khan was attending the Learning Together conference, organised by the University of Cambridge’s Institute of Criminology. He later began the attacks when the attendees were returning for the afternoon session.

The video footage displayed that five to six men were confronting with the attacker on the north bank of the London Bridge before the police intervened and fired shots. A bystander, Thomas Gray, stated that the attacker carried two knives that appeared to be “taped to his hands”. He added that he stomped on the man’s left wrist while another man kicked the knife away.

Later, the man was shot by the specialist armed officers upon confrontation. Upon examination, the police confirmed that the criminal of the London Bridge attack was wearing a hoax suicide vest.

The past records of Khan’s lives stated that the man was convicted in 2012 for engaging in terrorism offences and for plotting to target sites such as the London Stock Exchange, the Houses of Parliament and the US embassy, as well as religious and political figures. During his sentencing in 2012, the judge said Khan could pose an ongoing threat to public safety.

The 28-year-old man was released from the prison in December 2018 on licence and was subject to monitoring conditions, while living at his Staffordshire residence. But the question at large is how he carried out the London Bridge attack despite being monitored.

A previous data from the Mayor of London’s Office for Policing and Crime revealed that in 2017 half of the knife crime offenders in London were black, Asian or of minority ethnic. It has been declared that the number of knife attacks in London is a serious problem.

As immigration in the country is increasing at an alarming rate, the citizens are feeling insecure in their own homes. They fear that incidents such as that of London Bridge could be repeated in future.

Continue Reading

Crime

Blood Bathed Weekend in London Sees Two Stabbings in Under 24 Hours

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Blood Bathed Weekend in London Sees Two Stabbings in Under 24 Hours

The idea of keeping a check on knife crimes and stopping them across London is once again facing scrutiny, after a man was found dead with fatal stab wounds outside the London railway station. The incident marked second London Stabbing case in the capital in under 24 hours.

The reports stated that the 26-year-old victim was found inside a vehicle next to West Ealing station at around 1.15am on Sunday. “Despite the efforts of medics, the male was pronounced dead at the scene,” a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said. “There have been no arrests. Enquiries continue, “spokesperson added.

However, police suspect that the man was stabbed at some other location, before a car that he was traveling in was involved in an accident outside the railway station. “We believe the victim was involved in an altercation 100 meters from the railway station on The Avenue,” Inspector Neil John said. The man is yet to be identified.

Meanwhile, the other attack, which happened less than 24 hours ago, saw a 27-year-old man stabbed to death near Aldgate East underground station, in east London. The police reported that the attack took place during a fight at a house party in a block of three flats. The officers were called to scene shortly before 9am on Saturday and the man was declared dead.

The attack also involved three other people who suffered Knife wounds, however, none accept the victim suffered life threatening wounds. Six men, aged between 23 and 29, have been taken into custody on suspicion of murder. Seventh man has also been arrested, but is still being treated in hospital.

As recorded, London in the past week has seen at least four people lose lives. The pulsating sequence of events, which has left the city amidst heightened tensions and civilians pondering over what should they do to safeguard themselves.

Last year, London witnessed the highest number of homicides attacks in a decade, with the total number at 136.

One case after the other, and government has no answer. Claimed on several occasions that the budget and number of policemen will eventually increase, the time period required to resolve the London stabbing chaos still remains a mystery.

Continue Reading

Crime

Acid Attack Victim Experiences Second Assault in Just Six Months

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Acid Attack

Scarred for life, a 38-year-old mum became a target for the second time in just months after being attack with acid at her doorstep. Theresa Townsley was in her vehicle when thugs in a pick-up truck rammed into it and battered the windows with a scythe.

On November 9, 2018, Townsley was at her home in Edinburgh, when a hooded thug threw acid on her, leaving serious burns on her face and neck. However, the attacker has still not been caught.

It has now appeared that just six months later, she became a victim of another terrifying assault, when she was in her car with her partner James Wilson, the Daily Record reported. In a hearing at the Hamilton Sheriff Court Townsley stated that she feared she was going to die, when the truck attacked. Her husband was hit on the head with a spade and needed more than 40 stitches.

Townsley told the court that she and Wilson went to Strathclyde Park to meet the 48-year-old Alexender Burke, who owed her husband £13,000 for a Ford Transit truck. The violence erupted when Burke and his 28-year-old son Alexander Burke Jr arrived.

She also stated that Burke’s son jumped out of the truck and smashed the car windows with a scythe. “He put the scythe through the passenger side window and tried to cut me. He was saying, ‘You’re dead, you’re dead’. We thought we were going to die,” she said. “Burke Jr smashed the rest of the windows then ran back to the pick-up.”

Last week, both father and son were jailed at the Hamilton Sheriff Court for assaulting Wilson, Townsley and her sister Mary Jean in May. Burke Jr was found guilty for assaulting James to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement, and was jailed for three years. Whereas, his father was jailed for two years.

As of now, there have been no suggestion that the Lanarkshire incident is linked to the acid attack in the Gracemount area of the capital. Townsley moved away from Edinburgh since the acid attack.

“It was the worst day of my life…Day to day it is still hard, just to go out of the house, to look in the mirror. Most of the time I am confined to the house,” she had said earlier this month. As a year passed to the attack, Townsley said that November 9, 2019 is the second worst day of her life because it brought all back.

Continue Reading

Crime

Grace Millane Murder: Court Hearing Brings Out New Revelations

Mirror News Desk

Published

on

Grace Millane

Another troubling incident in British backpacker Grace Millane’s case has been exposed, where a woman stated that she played dead to escape her death, while she struggled with the person who months later killed Millane.

In December 2018, 22-year old Millane’s disappearance in Auckland, New Zealand sparked international attention. A 26-year-old man was charged with the murder of Millane, whose dead body was found in the nearby Waitakere Ranges on December 9.

Grace Millane from England was on a backpacking tour during her gap year when she met a man via a dating app Tinder. She was last seen with her murderer at the CityLife Hotel on Queen Street, a day before her 23rd birthday on December 1 and was reported missing since then.

The murderer, while appearing on trial in January this year, pleaded not guilty. As his trial continued, he admitted of having consensual sex with Grace Millane on the night she died, disposing off her body and cleaning up her blood from the floor the apartment. Yet, he reaffirmed his not guilty plea. The proceedings are expected to last five weeks.

Millane’s death generated huge outcries from the general public as well as the tourists, who feared trusting Kiwis.

Another woman, who went on a Tinder date with the alleged killer in March 2018 – long before the death of Grace Millane, gave her testimony in an Auckland court on Monday, stating how she struggled to breathe during her sexual encounter with the man.

“He had grabbed my forearms and put all the pressure on my arms so I couldn’t breathe and I couldn’t move my arms. I started kicking, trying to indicate I couldn’t breathe. I was kicking violently. He would have felt me fighting,” the woman said, crying. “I was terrified,” stated the woman.

She recalled thinking “this can’t be the way I died” as the 27-year-old smothered her.

She told the court that she had since then avoided contact and lied about her movements, hoping the man would lose interest in her.

The defendant’s lawyer, Ron Mansfield, said the witness told his client that she wanted “to pursue a relationship with him after the encounter”, and had exchanged more than 700 messages after the alleged dispute, although the woman said she only continued to speak to him out of fear for her safety.

The woman said during her date with the man at his apartment, he told her that he had used a shotgun to scare away his sister’s boyfriend and had beaten up people from a bar next to the hotel.

Two other women, who matched with the man on Tinder, gave their evidences in Auckland court. One stated that Grace Millane’s murderer said that he likes to dominate women to feel “superior”. Another woman, later stated that she had consensual sex with the man, while his trial still continued.

Continue Reading

Trending