Connect with us

World

Travelling to UAE : A ‘Solitary Confinement’ May be Awaiting You!

Published

on

UAE skyscraper

The skyscrapers in UAE are the measurement to its progress and the lavish life it has in store for all its visitors. However, what it fails to produce is a happy stay because detentions without justifications are quiet common in UAE.

A British student, Matthew Hedges, has been held in solitary confinement in the UAE after he was detained “without explanation” five months ago following a research trip.

Hedges who is a PhD statement at Durham University, was reportedly taken in to custody at the Dubai airport on May 5. The student expressed that he was travelling to the UAE to interview sources regarding the country’s foreign policy and security strategy.

The government of UAE has detained him since without any charges, establishing a new definition of violation of human rights, which is often the case with country. Besides, foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt has personally raised Hedges’s case amid his deteriorating mental health.

The case was heard by the Jury of Abu Dhabi on Wednesday, but has been postponed until next hearing on October 24.

Ms Tejada said all she wants “is for Matt to come home safely”.

“We cannot believe this has happened. We have been patient and done everything that has been advised, supposedly in Matt’s best interest, but we can no longer go on like this.
“Matt is a brilliant researcher, a man of integrity, and he has been punished in the most unjust and unfair way. His rights are violated on a daily basis and I am shocked that more has not been done to get him out,” she said in a statement.

“Matt is a British citizen; he visited the UAE exclusively for academic research purposes and has been detained without charge for over five months in an undisclosed location. This is appalling and more must be done to ensure he is safely brought home.”

Likewise, a British woman was handed a jail sentence in Dubai last month, over ‘witnessing’ fight, convicting her of the assault that led to a man with a broken nose.

Asa Hutchinson, 22, and a British friend, 26, were found guilty of assault by Dubai Criminal Court following an incident in May last year. The prank, which initially began with taking selfies, escalated after the man was allegedly slapped whilst sleeping, which resulted in a fight.
However, Hutchinson claims that she was just onlooker, and has been a victim of Dubai’s “unfair” legal system.

Radha Stirling who founded Detained in Dubai, a British-based not-for-profit organization to help foreigners abroad said, “In Dubai, if two parties are in dispute or arguing, the first person to speak to the police is usually the one who is believed.

“Often it is a race to get to the police first. By making this complaint, the man may have been safeguarding himself from being charged himself.”

The number of cases in UAE are often based upon the clueless facts, and many people thus have to face the torture because of forced confessions. Correspondingly, there have been cases where people are made to sign the blank documents upon, which the police has later written the confessions.

The cases in UAE just keep piling up and Detained in Dubai has single-handedly looked numerous cases of arbitrary arrests in Dubai, as police have jailed a woman for drinking wine on a flight, locked a man in prison for touching another man’s knee accidentally, and arrested an Australian security officer for swearing.

A supporter of Saudi led coalition in Yemen, financer of terrorism, and a promoter of genocidal killings inside Yemeni secret prisons, is the face UAE hides behind its skyscrapers. Therefore, even if the tourism industry for UAE persists to lure visitors, the reality would always continue to draw a parallel.

World

Notre Dame Cathedral fire extinguished after overnight struggle

Published

on

Notre Dame Cathedral overnight fire struggle

The bystanders in Paris captured the fall of the iconic spire from top of the Notre Dame Cathedral, which was under the fire on Monday evening. After an overnight struggle, the Paris fire service snuffed out the blazes on Tuesday morning.

Head of the sappers brigade, Gabriel Plus confirmed that the fire was completely extinguished, and that the emergency services are now mapping the movement of the structures and putting out smoldering residues.

Once the fire is entirely out, the experts will start planning on how to strengthen the remaining part of the Cathedral. It was indeed a bad day for Paris and rest of the world. The firefighters somehow saved the cathedral’s landmark rectangular towers from fire, but Paris deputy mayor, Emmanuel Gregoire, stated that the building was subjected to colossal damages.

France President Emmanuel Macron, expressing grief over the incident, pledged to restore the landmark.

The Parisian authorities, for now, are counting out arson and terror-related motives behind the massive fire, treating it as an accidental blaze, the Associated Press reported.

Great Organ, Crown of Christ undamaged

On Tuesday, Gregoire also confirmed that the illustrious “Great Organ” from Notre Dame Cathedral, did not suffer any damage, following the destructive fire in the cathedral. The Great Organ, which has over 8,000 pipes, was built by Francois Thierry in the 18th century.

Authorities are yet to release the actual cause of fire after the investigations are concluded. It is speculated that the fire could possibly involve restoration work happening at the site. The cathedral’s roof was covered with an extensive scaffolding as part of the $6.8 million renovation project.

Vatican spokesman Alessandro Gisotti wrote on Twitter that Pope Francis was “close to France,” and that he was praying for each one who is trying to cope with this dramatic situation.

Continue Reading

World

Middle East Peace Plan: A Biased Plan Hindering Palestine’s Development

Published

on

Middle East Peace Plan

On Monday, former European ministers in a letter to The Guardian, asked Europe to reject the US Middle East peace plan if it is not fair to the Palestinians.

The letter was signed by 25 former foreign ministers, six former Prime Ministers of the European countries, and two former Nato secretary generals – Willy Claes and Javier Solana.

Former European politicians have asked for a solution beneficial to both Israel and Palestine which includes Jerusalem as the common capital of both the countries. They have also asked to reject any other US Middle East Peace Plan that does not include the above mentioned points. The politicians in their letter also condemned US President Trump’s acknowledgment of “only one side’s claims to Jerusalem”.

The letter also said that the US has shown a biased attitude towards Israeli settlements on the west of the Jordan River and deducted hundreds of millions of dollars for the help of Palestinians was, “gambling with the security and stability of various countries located at Europe’s doorstep”.

From the time in between Trump becoming the US president and in receiving praise from the government of Israel, the policies of Trump can be seen as a punishment for Palestinians. The policies implemented are also curbing the success of Palestine and its effort with any other government from development.

Trump’s son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner and the US ambassador to Israel David Friedman are the brains behind the US Middle East peace plan. Friedman is a bankruptcy lawyer, who has always been outspoken about supporting Jewish settlements in the Palestinian territories.

Friedman while addressing to the Israel supporting advocacy group, American Israel Public Affairs Committee, last month in Washington, said that Trump was, “Israel’s greatest ally ever to reside in the White House.” At this juncture, they should impose the policies as the Trump Administration has finally realised that Israel can continue to have military control over the territories of Palestine.

Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s Prime minister, prior to election polls said, if he wins the elections his prime objective will be to seize the settlements in the West Bank. This move will shatter all the hopes of rebuilding Palestine. When asked if his “friends” in the Trump administration knew about his plan, during an interview with domestic Israel National News website, Netanyahu replied “Sure”.

When inquired about the Netanyahu’s plans to occupy settlements, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said they would not harm the unrevealed peace plan, implying that the US scheme did not imagine Palestinian Settlement.

Pompeo said, “I think that the vision that we’ll lay out is going to represent a significant change from the model that’s been used.” The letter also said that Europe must “be vigilant and act strategically” when Trump introduces, the latest US Middle East peace plan.

The letter read, “[We] are convinced that a plan that reduces Palestinian statehood to an entity devoid of sovereignty, territorial contiguity and economic viability would severely compound the failure of previous peacemaking efforts, accelerate the demise of the two-state option and fatally damage the cause of a durable peace for Palestinians and Israelis alike.”

The letter also said, If not possible, “Europe must pursue its own course of action.”

The Middle East peace plan which is supposed to bring peace between Palestine and Israel should not be biased towards one country. It should be made considering the development of both countries.

While the former European higher authorities have asked the EU to remain alert and act accordingly as per the plan introduced, any disagreement between the EU and the US over the Middle East peace plan could further delay it, causing inconvenience to the people of Israel and Palestine.

Continue Reading

News

UK Reveals New Facts after Death of Shamima Begum’s Baby

Published

on

Shamima Begum

Following the death of IS bride Shamima Begum’s third-born baby boy last month, the government officials have confirmed since last year a small number of British children, who were living in Syria, have returned to the UK via third countries.

The revelation came in the wake of Home Secretary Sajid Javid facing pressure over the country’s policy of bringing children from war-torn countries to one’s own nation. He claimed that 900 people travelled from the UK to join the Syrian conflict and around 40 percent of them have returned.

Questions were raised at the government’s policy on repatriating the children of British IS fighters after Begum’s three-weeks-old baby died.

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt defended the government’s decision arguing that it would have been too dangerous to send British officials to rescue Begum’s baby from the Syrian camp. He commented, “The mother chose to leave a free country to join a terrorist organization.”

Begum left to join the Islamic State in 2015. In an interview from the Syrian refugee camp, she expressed her desire to return home. However, the home secretary stripped her of her British citizenship in an effort to stop her from returning to the UK. He claimed that those who left the country to join IS were “full of hate for our country”.

Other than Shamima Begum, two more women living in the Syrian refugee camps with their young children were stripped of their British citizenship.

While commenting on the urgency of saving the British children living in Syrian camps, Home Office minister Baroness Williams of Trafford said that UK does not have any embassy in Syria and thereby no British officials would be sent to save the people who wilfully leave the country to join any terrorist organization.

“If a British child who has been in Syria is able to seek consular assistance outside of Syria, then we would work with local and UK authorities to facilitate their return if requested,” she added.

There has been a huge controversy following the death of Begum’s baby. Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott claimed that the child died because of callous and inhumane decision to strip Shamima Begum of her citizenship.

The Tory MPs criticized the government for their acts. The Home office thereby, promised to provide all the support for the welfare of each individual child who has returned to the country by minimizing the threat they could face within schools and their local community, and by protecting their rights so that they are not subjected to human violence.

Continue Reading

Football

Saudi and Infantino Caught Smearing FIFA World Cup Red Handed

Published

on

Saudi Arabia and FIFA president Gianni Infantino

The FIFA World Cup 2022 began as a peace prospect to bring closer the Gulf nations, but is now witnessing ambush of unexpected events, as internal feuds continue to multiply. With less than 4 years before the penultimate bonanza in footballing history kicks off, the efforts to denounce its host have multiplied to an unexplainable event.

Laying ground on the basis of what transpired in June 2017, the charges against the host nation of sponsoring terrorism are still in place. However, the roots of such claim still remain unclear.

Besides, what was first billed as an event to host 32 teams, is now widely rumored to become a 48-team event.

Having said that, hosting more teams than expected challenges Qatar, which is pretty much on time with the deadline with a precondition to entertain 32 teams. With the ongoing facade across boundaries, the sensitivity of the decision questions what could be the real motive behind the move.

As FIFA’s President Gianni Infantino would state, the concept of expanding the tournament is directly linked to building the peace from the scratch in the Middle East. His notion of peace in the East is a plan with a great outlook. However, if seen logically, the decision made demands sharing the tournament with Kuwait and Oman.

Under the plan being considered currently, Qatar will host the majority of matches while the remaining ones will be played in Kuwait and Oman. The reason for it is beyond explanation because diplomatic tensions won’t heal in such a process.

Saudi Behind the Scenes

Now, while Infantino and his bid of stability is spread as a great initiative, the reality appears to be otherwise. His bid for expansion is allegedly linked to the money he was offered in the process. According to the account published by the ‘New York Times’, the President told his top board that a fund of investors from Middle East and Asia wanted to pay about $25 billion to buy an expanded version of FIFA’s Club World Cup.

Further, without revealing the identity of investors, Infantino tried hard to convince them and said that they do not have much time up their sleeve. However, the technique did not work as the council rejected the proposal saying that ‘it need more information’.

Nonetheless, Infantino’s bid for accepting such a proposal illustrates how the current state of flux in international soccer has added money to the equation.

At first, only a few details came forward about the deal that was struck by the FIFA President. However, as per the people briefed in the matter, the money offered was a covert way of expanding the tournament to China and Saudi Arabia.

Surprisingly, as soon as complete details emerged it became evident that the Saudis by using their Japanese conglomerate Soft Bank Group, tried to hollow FIFA. The gulf nation aimed at creating its committee using the $25 billion bid. The sole reason for it – to create international tournaments for the governing body of football, FIFA.

The influence of such a move would have directly hampered Qatar’s image, especially in the West. A region where the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman (MbS) has already been exposed for hoaxing his modernization agendas; also a region he tries to influence the most.

The fight for 2022 FIFA World Cup has been mired in controversies since Qatar won the hosting rights. Now, as consideration from Saudi and UAE reaches Kuwait and Oman, the extent of lobbying to hamper the interest of FIFA for personal use continues to raise eyebrows. Moreover, the additional income estimated at $400.1 million if the tournament is expanded, is only justifiable to state how Infantino is lured into spearheading Saudi’s bid for expanding the tournament to 48 teams.

Continue Reading

World

Israeli Elections: Main Contenders of Leading Parties Claim Victory

Published

on

Israeli elections

The exit polls for Israeli elections show that any of the two leading parties’ candidates, Benjamin Netanyahu, or his rival Benny Gantz could win the next term. The 97 percent votes that were counted showed that both the challengers are even, as each party won 35 seats in the elections that took place on April 9.

Benny Gantz, leader of the Blue and White party in Israel, is tied with Benjamin Netanyahu’s Likud party in most of the regions within Israel. Even though, the Blue and White party is lagging behind Netanyahu’s Likud party in Rosh HaAyin, a city in the Central District of Israel, yet it is ahead of Likud Party in Caesarea, a town on Israel’s Mediterranean coast.  

Israel follows a parliamentary form of government where the voters choose their candidates from the lists who would then serve in the 120-seat Knesset. Knesset is the unicameral national legislature of Israel, which has the authority to pass the laws and to elect the President and approve the cabinet. The president then ceremonially appoints the Prime Minister. Nearly six million people in the country were eligible to vote in the 2019 Israeli elections.

As of now, no party has won a majority in Israeli elections since 1949. The current Prime Minister of the country, Benjamin Netanyahu, has been serving the term since 2009. He too has formed his government through coalition with ultranationalist and Jewish Orthodox parties and there is a high probability that if he wins the next term, he might form the government with the same coalition. His challenger Benny Gantz is expected to have the support of the left-wing parties.

The results of the elections will be declared by Friday. The president will then nominate the candidate for prime minister along with the discussion with the leaders of every party who won seats in the elections. The nominee will be given 42 days to form a government along with the coalition. If not by then, his candidature will be cancelled and another politician will get a chance.

In the past, there have been numerous corruption charges against Prime Minister Netanyahu, put forward by Israel’s Attorney General, whose decision will be out by the end of 2019. If Netanyahu faces corruption charges, he might lose the support of his political allies. So far, Netanyahu has denied all the charges.

Another political barrier for Netanyahu in 2019 elections is that if the US President asks Israel to make concessions with the Palestinians over Gaza, then the former’s allies would be enraged. This might affect his negotiations for support with other parties.

Both the leaders, Gantz and Netanyahu have claimed their victory in Israeli elections, but the ending results are still awaited. If Netanyahu wins, then he would become the longest-serving prime minister as he has already served four terms in Israel’s office.

Continue Reading

Trending